Move in day for class of 2027...parents staying?

Are most parents heading home after unpacking our kids? Didn’t know if the 10:15 presentation was worth staying til after lunch on Friday. Our boy says we can head back home after moving him in, but we don’t want the kiddo to be the only freshman without parents hanging around til after lunch on Friday.

My experience is that colleges offer “parent programming” more or less as a courtesy to any parents who travelled thousands of miles - so that it doesn’t feel like they’re being kicked out as soon as they touched down.

But basically - anyone within reasonable driving distance will start heading back around noon. Most kids will be quite eager to finally get their parents out of their hair, have the reign to their room and closet, and rather start figuring out who’s who in their dorm, on their floor, among their first-years. In fact, some colleges will be scheduling events/meets for the first-years the same afternoon.

I suspect things won’t be any different at Furman.

We’re only 2 hours from there… I’d prefer to just come on home anyway…but Furman always does things a little different. I’ll probably just cancel the AirBnb and we’ll settle the kid in and let the wolves have him…lol!

2 Likes