Move in day!!

<p>I plan on moving in the first day which is the 22nd, but I was wondering what a good time would be? Is it better to wait until later on in the day or what? Also I know our vehicle has to be moved to long term parking..will a bus take us back to my dorm or how far is it to walk? Any other tips or what yall did would be appreciated!</p>

<p>Move-in peaks around 1 or 2. So either, early in the day or later. Also, since youre moving in on the 22nd, there wont be any “hokie helpers” to move you in, but its not that big of a deal.
Depending on what dorm youre in, I dont think the walk from the parking lot to it should be that bad. Again, that depends on your dorm!</p>

<p>I’m in Johnson hall</p>

<p>In that case, not really. It’ll be a 10 minute walk to the parking lot.
Good Luck with move in!</p>

<p>Go early, get to enjoy watching TV with the door open while other people move in. Hey, you can even help them and make friends!</p>

<p>I thought Hokie Helpers will be available to help Wednesday Aug 22 - Saturday Aug 25 from 8a-5p according to this website page.
[Important</a> Dates | Housing & Residence Life | DSA | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.housing.vt.edu/dates/]Important”>http://www.housing.vt.edu/dates/)
That said, we moved my son in last year at 9a on the first day in to Lee Hall. The line was long to turn on to Washington St but once we were able to pull up to the curb, we all hopped out, unloaded the car & then his dad drove the car around to park. The Hokie Helpers were great as were the administration who were giving out Hokie bottled water! No problems at all & then my son was able to meet others on the hall & help other guys move in - a great way to meet the other residents on your hallway.
Are you bringing your own car? If so, park it in Lane Stadium parking lot, then walk to your dorm & get checked in. By the time we pulled up to the dorm, my son was already checked in, key in hand, waiting on us.
Best of luck!</p>

<p>No, I’m not bringing my car…decided it was just an expense that I wouldn’t use that much</p>

<p>Is a bike worth bringing? Is it better to take a bike or the bus to the math emporium?</p>

<p>I’d say yes it’s worth bringing. You can get just about anywhere on campus in 5 minutes on a bike, although finding a place to lock it up (and you really need to lock it up) can be a pain. Also don’t get a nice bike.</p>

<p>Biking to the empo is definitely doable but I found it annoying due to the road crossings.</p>

<p>I’m gonna advise against bringing your bike to tech. My dilemma was that it was either too cold or hot to ride to class. Also, youre locking your bike outside leaving it in the rain, snow and heat. It will probably rust at the end of the year. Bike seats, and parts have also been known to be stolen.</p>

<p>I brought mine last year, and I dont think I’m taking it back this year.</p>

<p>I’m going to vote another negative on the bike at least for the first year. My sophmore son echoed Chuy’s comment about finding a place to lock up the bike. His orientation counselors even addressed that problem, and mentioned many kids bring one and it stays in the same place all year.The bus system is so outstanding that you can get anywhere rather quickly once you learn the routes.
Now that our son is off campus, he did bring his bike this year-he doesn’t have a car. There are many bus stops near his apartment, but he thinks he may choose to bike it sometimes.</p>

<p>Ok thanks y’all I think I will wait on the bike. Another quick question is that the dining halls dont open until the 23 and I am movin in on the 22 so do I have to go off campus or will anything on campus be open?</p>