Move in success

<p>Parent of freshman, just back from early move-in because he will be working in dining hall.</p>

<p>Well-organized parking, check-in etc -- big carts available to cart all the stuff, lots of people to direct us and make sure we are going to the right elevator bank etc. Great to have 2 hour parking pass right there at the dorm, arriving earlier in the day meant we had a closer parking spot to doors etc -- with the off and on rain during the day, that was a treat. </p>

<p>We didn't think he had that much stuff but it was still an exhausting day. He and his roommate (who has regular move-in) agreed on double lofting, so we went ahead and did both beds. Much easier after we learned from our mistakes on the first bed. Closets and clothes dresser are bigger than we expected, but still off to target to buy stuff like large 3 drawer plastic thing for storage inside closet etc. </p>

<p>Cannot imagine how anyone sleeps in a lofted bed -- he has it on the lower setting, for maximum ceiling clearance, but still a tight squeeze. Maybe we did it wrong and he and his roommate will sort it out. </p>

<p>He was happy to give us big hugs, and just as happy to head out the door to meet new people. Very excited for this new stage.</p>

<p>Congrats and I hope everything continues to go well. UW has a tradition of giving most new undergrads major exams after 6 weeks of classes. Things might get a little tense during that first testing period. Cut him some slack if he gets a little edgy.</p>

<p>Same boat here. Redid the bed lofting 4 times before we got it right. You want the bed rails on the book case, not the bed legs else your nose is abt 3 inches from the popcorn ceiling. And if you have carpet bring a box cutter and only cut after you’ve settled on the whole bed arrangement. Note: room door is nearly flush with floor.</p>

<p>Lots of people are bringing 2nd frig and stacking with one already in room. Recommend a 2 x 2 piece of plywood between the two. Also, get a swim tube or pipe foam insulation for the rail so when you’re in your chair and get up and hit your head it won’t hurt so bad. Already did it. There is a Target SuperCenter west on University Ave for whatever you didn’t bring and should have.</p>

<p>Agree it’s well organize with helpers but my advice for those coming this week is get there early and expect it to be very hot and humid with all the people.</p>

<p>Hmm, UW2016, thanks for the lofting advice – at this point, he seems to have about 8 inches of clearance but I will leave it to stronger people on Thursday. He has the rails facing up, so that must explain the lack of breathing room. </p>

<p>Barrons, thanks for the advice on 6 week exams, and we will plan accordingly.</p>

<p>Now, all this laser-beam focus gets directed on son number 2! Poor kid.</p>

<p>@midwestmom Which dorm? Just curious about the lofting situation and space…I understand those can vary widely by dorm.</p>

<p>Ah- those 4, 8 and 12 week exams in some courses-sciences and math in my day- and 6 and 12 week exams in the others.</p>

<p>There are lofting guides on each dorm’s website section of the Res Halls one.</p>

<p>Westy – he is in Sellery – we had the lofting instructions for Sellery printed out, and they are easy and basic. But, there are clearly tips – his house fellow advised putting sheets on mattress BEFORE lofting because it is hard to make a bed 6 feet up.</p>

<p>Mid 90’s in the forecast tomorrow. It’s going to be a hot first few days. </p>

<p>And yes, it’s a lot easier to put sheets on before, especially fitted ones.</p>

<p>Yes, it’s hot and those with A/C --got with med reason but not cheap-- is where the party will be.</p>

<p>Lofts do tend to restrict the bed to one function only.:)</p>

<p>I think that is why my son, and his roommate, made sure they have a futon . . .</p>

<p>I am also a parent of a freshman. Move-in day was so easy compared to my son at another big school. UW did a great job of controlling traffic and parking. When my daughter got all her stuff in the room, “Badger Buddies” came and lofted her bed. I found out they were student volunteers…very nice!</p>

<p>Unfortunately my daughter hated the loft. She realized she would not be able to read or use her computer on her bed. So the Badger Buddies came back and un-lofted her bed. It is now in a slightly elevated position where she can store stuff underneath but doesn’t have to climb six feet up to get in bed. She is extremely happy with her room. Her roommate did the same with her bed and they even fit a futon in the room.</p>