move in

<p>S received the move-in email today.</p>

<p>Is the lofting worth the $275? How about the rugs, I didn’t even see how much they are. Are they new? Since S is flying we won’t be bringing any of this stuff down. Too bad they didn’t sell a dresser to fit under the loft.</p>

<p>When I saw the “linens” tab I was hoping you could buy a service to get washed linens replaced once per month or something. I hate to ship all this stuff down, but don’t really think I will be spending $250(package price) for it either. </p>

<p>Are portable steamers ok, H thinks I’m crazy, but I’m sure they won’t have an iron and irons are so hard to use without a board anyway.</p>

<p>Any other big thing I am forgetting?</p>

<p>My daughter’s bed was already lofted before we arrived. I’d be surprised if he couldn’t find suitmates to help him loft if it wasn’t desired height. She put the dresser under the bed for extra room. (They list all the room/furniture dimensions on the housing website)</p>

<p>FYI, Amazon was a wonderful resource for shipping items we didn’t want to send. They offered one year free ‘prime acct’ for college students with their .edu account. Which was great b/c you could free 2-day shipping without the normal $25 threshold. </p>

<p>She bought an iron and the mat or blanket for use on a table. For the small amount she irons it worked fine.</p>

<p>The only thing I thought was missing in the room was a bookcase. There are small ones which fold flat and require no assembly. (Last year they were available @ Target & Bed Bath & Beyond among others.)</p>

<p>My son did not receive any info about move-in yet. Did the info appear in his Crimson email address?</p>

<p>*Is the lofting worth the $275? *</p>

<p>No. The beds are loftable as they are. How high does your son want his bed. The beds already loft to high enough that the dresser fits underneath.</p>

<p>As for rugs, they are not needed in the newer dorms, as there is carpeting in the rooms.</p>

<p>My son has a steamer for all of his clothing. It’s small but does a very nice job.</p>

<p>Boy you guys are a font(or is it fount?) of knowledge. When I saw the $275 I thought, wow I can’t believe no one mentioned it was so expensive. How does one loft it then? He doesn’t want it very high, just enough to get an extra dresser or two, some dufflebags & shoe racks underneath.</p>

<p>He received the move in info in his regular email, not Crimson fyi</p>

<p>The head and foot boards have these “rungs” in them at different levels. The bed has these “hooks”. So, you connect the hooks to the rungs …to make the bed as high as you want.</p>

<p>^^^momreads: What type of steamer do you recommend?</p>

<p>We haven’t received the move-in info either.</p>

<p>I’m thinking its going to be the one I can get for $39 at BB&B with my 20% off coupon. Sounds like a good grad gift.</p>

<p>Most of the e-mails offering services such as bed lofts and rugs are not applicable for the honors dorms as the honors dorms have lofted beds and carpeted rooms. As for the linens and the laundry service, I’ve found that I don’t need to spend the extra money. It is really easy to find Twin-XL sheets once stores put out their back to college stuff and laundry can be done quickly and cheaply in the dorms 24/7/365. I try not to wear items that need to be dry cleaned, so I haven’t had to find the nearest dry cleaner.</p>

<p>Idinct - the thing to keep in mind is you have a S - keep it simple seems to be the rule of thumb for them. </p>

<p>I did get an iron and board for S - probably not worth it. My mother-in-law got me a steamer combo (1 reg, 1 travel) (I believe QVC…) at good price. Plan was for S to take the travel one, DH said why bother, DS has informed me that he kept expecting me to send it and will be taking it back with him. Steaming vs. ironing, no contest.</p>

<p>Will you be flying in with S to move-in? If so, get things (linens …) ship to store (free) like BBB and pick up in BHM with your rental car (we were able to fit everything in economy size, probably no need for SUV). If you get free shipping then send to Paty. Will you be doing AA or OA? If so you’ll definitely have no problem getting stuff at Target in town.</p>

<p>LOL, you don’t know my S, he is very high maintenance :slight_smile: He’s a photographer in his spare time, so he has a high esthetic if that explains anything, plus he has a lot of shoes. My D is a clothing designer and she has always kept him in the latest stuff. You never see him in athletic shorts and a t-shirt. I wonder if college will change him when he has to wash all of it himself? The good news is most of the year it will be warm so that will keep it fairly simple.
S will be flying to AA. I may go down and help him move in - if I find a job I can afford to fly, but I won’t have the time. If I don’t find a job, I won’t be able to afford it, but I will have the time :), so maybe I will drive down with some stuff. Otherwise, we will ship it all in and pick up anything he really needs parents weekend. I understand they have a daily bus to Target during WOW, not the most convenient for lugging back a dresser in a box, but doable, or I can ship something to Paty. So, it’s hard to plan at this point.</p>

<p>Cuttlefish123: I can even provide the HSN link to the steamer my son has…</p>

<p>[Joy</a> Mangano 900-Watt My Little Steamer® with 2 Steamer Heads and Storage Pouch at HSN.com](<a href=“http://www.hsn.com/joy-mangano/joy-mangano-900-watt-my-little-steamer-with-2-steamer-heads-and-storage-pouch_p-6191426_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=6191426&sf=jm&attr=192&ocm=jm|192&prev=hp!192&ccm=jm|192]Joy”>http://www.hsn.com/joy-mangano/joy-mangano-900-watt-my-little-steamer-with-2-steamer-heads-and-storage-pouch_p-6191426_xp.aspx?webm_id=0&web_id=6191426&sf=jm&attr=192&ocm=jm|192&prev=hp!192&ccm=jm|192)</p>

<p>Truthfully, I purchased two. The one I have at home has never been opened. I know this is very strange, but I really enjoy ironing. In some way, it’s very relaxing.</p>

<p>Idinct - LOL - can he go over and advise my S? After 4 years of uniforms he’s pretty much moved onto his own version of a “uniform” (read that as a lot of the same thing and pretty much same colors - sis says “dull”). Bought him new colors and varied the shirts when he got home, not a rousing reception, and I even let his sisters pick (they’d know current style). I think your S might look into the plastic drawers many students put under the beds if you think he’ll need more dresser space. They aren’t too heavy if he needs to pick it up on a bus/target run. We also found that the closet space is really very well laid out, you can add those dividers on top of shelves to stack items. </p>

<p>momreads - 2 girls = a lot of cotton = a lot of wrinkles = mom located steamer near their rooms. Everything was “mom, can you please press this I’m running late.” Steamer = :slight_smile: mom</p>

<p>momreads: Thank you for the link. I have never used a steamer before. This one looks cute and it comes in different colors. I also like to iron, strangely enough, while watching golf. And I don’t golf. Thanks again.</p>

<p>ldinct - i dont remember which dorm your son is staying in - an honors dorm? if so, i don’t think you will need an additional dresser. my D took a LOT of clothes (didnt wear most of them) and she was fine. we did get 2 of the plastic drawer things (3 drawers about 8 x 11 x 8) not the huge ones - the middle size ones) at target. in those we put underwear, socks, bras, pajamas, scarfs etc. (the small stuff) and put these on the floor on one side of her closet. that frees up some room in the dresser. then in the dresser there are three drawers and they are pretty big. in there she had a drawer of tshirts, a drawer of jeans, and a drawer with shorts and maybe some other things. with this setup, clothes storage is not a problem. you can go there and start setting him up and then go to target and buy the additional thing(s) you need. then there are the over the door hangers for shoes. not sure how good these are for mens shoes, but if they will work for that then there is your solution for shoes. they can go on the inside of the closet doors or on the back of the room entry door.</p>

<p>i might have some pictures … i will go look and see if i can post them.</p>

<p>My son has an iron and a full size ironing board (board fits easily standing up at end of bed against wall). He wears dress clothes ie: slacks and shirts fairly often and even has a tuxedo for performances. He prefers his clothes ironed and neat (dress clothes) casuals go right into dryer or on drying rack. He does not put jeans into the dryer as the length shrinks and being 6’4", it is hard to find jeans long enough.</p>

<p>I would say that your son will probably wear jeans and tees most often with a sweatshirt/hood for early mornings when it is cool, otherwise shorts and tees. </p>

<p>If they want clean clothes and sheets they will wash them. There are plenty of washer/dryers and you can get notified when your load is done.</p>

<p>It’s interesting to see what different students wear. I’ve been shopping a couple times since I’ve came home and cannot find many of the clothes that are popular in Alabama.</p>

<p>ldinct, I forget if it’s been mentioned, but have your son contact Chip Cooper, the Honors College’s photography instructor and advisor to Mosaic, the Honors College magazine.</p>

<p>robotbldmom</p>

<p>What kind of drying rack do you use? We air dry many/most of our clothes at home and D was wondering if she would just have to put them on hangers and hang around the room, or what?</p>

<p>Oh, and curiosity is killing me, what kind of performances does S wear a tux for? </p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>Thanks ST- S didn’t have the name of the photo instructor. However, I don’t even know if he’s going to want to bring all his equipment down. Again, with flying it’s kind of hard. He will probably bring 1 camera, but not the tripod, lights, etc.</p>