Move-in

<p>OK, I see on the Housing website that early move-in is Friday, August 9. All dorms other than Tutwiler have a 4 hour window from 8AM to 12PM…can that be right? We have a 9-10 hour trip to get there and don’t want to arrive the day before because all of her belongings will be under a tarp in the bed of her dad’s pickup and we open ourselves up to theft by having it sit in a hotel parking lot overnight. If we have to unload before noon it looks like we’ll have an all-night drive ahead of us. Ugh! Any parents of current freshman or upperclassman that can help to clarify if that short move-in schedule is correct?</p>

<p>Son moved into RCS-N early for OA last year on Friday 8/10. His “move in” time was 5:00 pm so we left Charlotte around 9:00 am…it is a 7.5 to 8 hour drive depending on Atlanta traffic…but remember you gain one hour going from ET to CT… so we had plenty of time. I sure would think they will have move in times later in the day :)</p>

<p>Re the tarp - I seriously hope for your sake that you do not encounter a thunderstorm like we did on our 12-hr trek to UA! It was so bad that I could only see 1 car length in front of me, at 30 MPH, and I pulled off to wait it out, hoping and praying that no one would rear-end me while I was in the shoulder. It passed within just a few minutes, but buckets of torrential rain. It was in northern AL.</p>

<p>Move in takes all of 5 minutes, truly. You pull up, a swarm of volunteers unload all your stuff into huge carts and bins, and your driver will then be forced to move the vehicle immediately thereafter. The actual unpacking in the dorm room itself can/might take hours!</p>

<p>2CarolinaGirls, if you arrive at an odd time, you can get into your D’s room. You’ll just have to move all the stuff yourself.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We will have to watch the weather reports before venturing out. Only alternative to the tarp is to rent a small enclosed trailer from Uhaul. We will figure it out. Everybody does, right? :)</p>

<p>Where did you see that schedule? This is the one I found on the move-in link:</p>

<p>Schedule
Thursday, August 8 7:00am-7:00pm Tutwiler
8:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 5:00pm All Other Areas
Friday, Aug. 9, 2013 8:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 5:00pm All Areas
Friday, August 16, 2013 1:00-5:00pm All Areas
Saturday, August 17 8:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 5:00pm All Areas
Sunday, August 18 8:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 5:00pm All Areas</p>

<p>So Thursday and Friday both have 8-12 and 1-5 move-in. Maybe whatever you saw was incomplete.</p>

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/movein/checkin/schedule.cfm[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/movein/checkin/schedule.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Ugh. Having trouble pulling it up on my phone, but it is on the housing site, then under new students tab and then move in. Maybe it changed from this am?</p>

<p>Lisa, what you posted on that link is NOT what I saw posted for 2013 move in this morning. So strange.</p>