Moving and packing for college 2 students in one car

That will not help. She can’t live with only 2 50lb bags and one carryon. We will drive to Atlanta anyway, so will pay for hotels and gas no matter what. If we will start to send packages cost will multiply very quickly.

I am not sure it makes sense. Paying for unnecessary and expensive ticket to bring two bags… I do not understand how it solves problem. We still will need to drive to Atlanta to drop the rest of bags, and will have to pay for hotels and gas. Oldest will be flying in fall by Spirit. Flying her back and forth the most expensive way possible for two bags when there is a cheap option does not help. Plus i will need taxi or Uber every time to get from Airport to campus with such heavy load.(She uses Marta in Atlanta and walks to campus with a backpack/personal item). On the other hand, youngest has 0 options with flying to Memphis and she will use Uber anyway back and forth from airport.

You won’t be paying additional gas a a hotel going from ATL to Memphis. She CAN live with 100 lbs of stuff till she comes home on break and takes back another 100 pounds.

I moved two kids to college and back with nary an IKEA bag in sight.

Black trash bags are good for hanging clothes and they lay flat without obstructing views. A very good thing to throw in at the end so that it molds to whatever is under it and doesn’t take up much visual space, so you can still see out the back window. Laundry bags and laundry baskets are useful. Can’t beat a good old cardboard box. Shoes went in typical recycled shopping bags which have strong straps for the most part. We got a fantastic collapsible duffel bag which could zip to a few sizes. Stayed under their beds and were great if they went away for the weekend.

Rolling under bed bins, etc… were packed with stuff. Things like bulky sweaters and winter clothes were retrieved when they came home for fall breaks.

When we packed them up for home, we always brought a few extra black trash bags for all the last minute stuff that didn’t have a place somewhere else.

You can be very low tech for a college move. Kids flying across country have different needs, of course. By car, it’s pretty easy, IMO. Obviously with two, I’d rent the van.

2 Likes

Spend money on the flight vs. cram all of you plus stuff in a van. Seems like a no brainer to me. Make sure you factor in the lesser gas mileage per gallon you will get with the van.

$174 is way cheaper than driving the miles to and from Memphis, plus a hotel night cost. Am I missing something?

2 Likes

That is saving of two tanks at most and no hotel (between Atlanta and Memphis. )

1 Like

If you are going to Atlanta first…you will have hotel and meal costs and possibly tolls…and of course costs of gas. Why can’t the Atlanta kid fly one way now…and round trip for fall break. Two checked bags each time.

I guess no hotel needed if you do a dump and goodbye at the curb

1 Like

We always have one space bag that wants to expand. Do not try to overfill past the fill line. You can put them in a duffle bag or suitcase, too. It is just when you start moving them around that the seals start to loosen.

For planning ahead, see what mini storage or pickup, pack and store is available in Memphis. There is a cost for the summer storage, but it may save you the stress in the end.

As far as the fourth person the car- that seat is extra storage space that it sounds like you needed. It is also meals on the road those couple of days.

We do have these for coolers and fishing gear, but one issue is most liftgates/hatches/tailgates are hard or impossible to access once items are piled in them.

They make some that pivot out, but those are expensive and probably not worth the trouble.

1 Like

$100 in gas from Atlanta to Memphis. Then the extra to go back. Or D2 can fly with 100 lbs for $174

I was thinking about it. There are many of them on Craig’s list for $75. We may consider it.
But if a connection ball and small U-hal trailer will be only $70 more we would get more space. The only annoying thing to drag trailer all the way round trip. One way costs fortune.

Have you tried doing a trial pack of the mini van?

Sounds like you are trying to keep costs as low as possible. Can the kids help offset some of the costs by paying themselves to ship their non essentials?

If that isn’t an option, I do think your most economical solution is renting a trailer.

1 Like

Same with bike racks that is why we do not have bike rack attached unless going biking… Annoying…

1 Like

Nope kids are not paying for moving. They just can’t afford it.

Do you have to bring everything with you? Can you buy a lot when you get to Memphis/Atlanta? My daughter goes to school 1200 miles from home. We flew down at drop off - flew Southwest and each had 2 bags and carryons (so 6 checked bags). We mainly checked clothes, shoes, bedding and towels (I wanted to wash them). We did a lot of shopping online for other stuff and arranged for instore pick up. Picked up at Home Depot (fridge), Bed Bath and Beyond, Target, and Container Store. We had one item shipped to the hotel direct from Amazon. Every year we store her stuff and then usually fly back with the necessities. Some years we have driven but that’s not often.

Last summer D had an internship all the way across county. We drove from school wth her car and what we could fit and the necessities and did the same buy online and pick up when we got to her location for apartment necessities. We ordered a lot from Amazon and picked up at an Amazon Hub location.

So in your case could you just bring the in the car the things from home and pick up the rest when you get to your location?

2 Likes

So your options are down to a pull behind trailer (UHaul or other rental), or a rack on top or the one behind the back door (as shown above in post 57. For either the roof or shelf, I would not use the Ikea bags as they can rip in the wind. They are sturdy, but not that sturdy. Also, if you stay in a hotel on the way, they can’t be locked.

When my friend moved across country, she bought a pull behind trailer (open air) and then sold it when she was done with it. Usually they have to be registered with DMV so that’s an added cost.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-Trailer-3-5-ft-x-5-ft-Wire-Mesh-Utility-Trailer/5013945721

1 Like

The OP has already stated that they don’t plan to buy much,if anything, at either college destination because they have a lot already.

How about this idea…divide and conquer.

One parent takes the kid with the least amount of stuff in the car.

The other parent takes the other kid in the van.

This idea has 2 drivers for 2 cars on the way back with no spare driver for brakes. That what we definitely do not want to do.
It would be great for a small trip, but not for 10 or 14 hour drive…

1 Like

I think all ideas were exhausted. Thanks, everyone. If someone has good links with some reliable bags, packaging that can go on the roof etc. or non-traditional ideas, they are very welcome.

1 Like