Moving in Alone?

<p>So, long story short, I’ll be flying from California to Birmingham alone this fall, and I’m not sure exactly what to do once my plane has landed. I’ve flown before - never alone, but I have flown frequently and I’m not too worried about that. (I’ll most likely be flying alone for Bama Bound anyways). </p>

<p>I know I’ll arrive in Birmingham the evening of August 16th…and then I’m not sure where to go from there. What’s the best way for me to get to T-town, is there a shuttle, should I book a taxi, etc? What happens once I’m there? I’m eighteen - can I book a hotel room, or is it possible to stay in the dorm before move-in the next day? If I ship all my stuff, aside from a smallish suitcase with enough things to cover me for a few days should boxes get lost, etc., will that work? </p>

<p>I’d really appreciate any help and advice. Thank you and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Have you seen this thread from last year? Lots of useful info. Hopefully some of this year’s parents can chime in and help like they did last year also. I wish I could, but we will be long gone by then and my S will not have a car.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1367898-moving-alone-need-help.html?highlight=alone[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1367898-moving-alone-need-help.html?highlight=alone&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I’m pretty certain you’ll be able to stay in the dorm. Last year my son was in Outdoor Action, so was there for early move-in, but all 3 of his other suitemates moved in within a few days even though they had no requirements for being there early.</p>

<p>Check with housing, but you should be able to get your key the day before. Even if you could stay in a hotel, why spend the money if you are able to stay in the dorm?</p>

<p>You’ll have to check what dining halls (if any) are open early, you may have to plan on eating off campus or getting to a grocery store.</p>

<p>If shipping stuff, I’d ship as early as possible since last year there were ‘horror’ stories about the long waits to pick up packages at the beginning of the year. If you can ship your stuff so that it’s waiting when you get to campus, you <em>might</em> be able to beat the crowds.</p>

<p>I’d definitely offer to help if I’m in town then, but as S is moving off-campus, we were told they would email us over the summer when we will be able to get his key, so I’m not certain what dates I may be there.</p>

<p>Lisa - thanks for the link, reading through that thread now!</p>

<p>jrcsmom - Thank you for the dorm information - I’d definitely rather stay in the dorm than a hotel. I do remember reading some of the shipping horror stories - how early is early to ship? Early August?</p>

<p>Is there a way that you can fly overnight and arrive in BHM in the morning instead? I moved in by myself the last three years and it was very easy. Sometimes the redeye flights can be very expensive in the summer, but making an extra connection can sometimes solve that problem. I always flew down to Phoenix to catch a redeye out of there and after another connection, arrived in BHM around 9:30 am. </p>

<p>Note that if you call the housing office or the move-in hotline, the person answering the phone will likely say that you will need to get a hotel room and move in during the morning. Exceptions to this rule, while not guaranteed, have been made in the past for students flying long distances by themselves.</p>