Moving in from 1000 miles away

<p>I told my son that we should start making a list of things that we need to purchase for his dorm room and I asked him to contact his roommates about things that they would like to contribute for the common area, such as dishes, silverware, etc. He said that they would probably just buy plastic plates and bowls because they don’t have a dishwasher and he doubts that they will do the dishes. First I stared in silence, then I laughed, and then I asked him to imagine the waste that four boys would create if they used plastic plates for the year. He responded by asking me to imagine what their kitchenette would look and smell like if they used reusable dishes. That comment took me back to my husband’s first apartment that he shared with four boys, yuck!!!</p>

<p>After some thought I recalled using “plastic” utensils that were made out of sugarcane the last time we skied in Vail. I looked up the product on Google and found that there are plates, bowls, cups, and utensils that are made out of sugarcane and won’t harm the environment, and, you can order by the case if you want to. </p>

<p>I’m not sure if I’ll order these or get dishes from Target and hope that they actually wash them but while I’m trying to figure out what to do I thought that I’d share the link with you all. </p>

<p>[Green</a> Products - In SMALLER retail quantities](<a href=“Green Paper Products”>Compostable Products | Sustainable Products)</p>

<p>We have decided to fly down a few days before rush. We will carry the 2 biggest suitcases we can. We will ship 1 box with whatever we cannot fit and buy the rest when we get to Tuscaloosa. I am still considering flying down for bid day. That will give me another opportunity to carry another big suitcase. Already have family weekend tickets (9/22 weekend) so that’s not too long to wait for anything else the forgot at home. We have a plan!</p>

<p>Bluhen- As per another poster, I just made my reservations for a hotel for flying down for bid day. I will be coming down myself. Message me if you are flying down alone too and want to try to coordinate flights, rental car etc together.</p>

<p>I originally thought we would either load up the jeep or rent a uhaul to get my S down with all his stuff, but now I think we will just bring clothes, music and movies and buy everything else when we get there - since we would have to buy most of his stuff anyway (toiletries, kitchen supplies, shelving, etc.)</p>

<p>(By the way, I’ve changed my userid from wdaveo to more accurately reflect my role - and gender - in the family.)</p>

<p>Hi, All-
I hope that our paths cross when we get down there! I love reading the posts here and have learned so much. My husband and I will be driving our son down from New Jersey in our SUV with the college basics and will pick up what is needed there.<br>
He is the youngest of our three sons and I am so looking forward to spending the time in the car with he and my husband. I just can’t imagine the drive home though!:slight_smile: He is participating in Alabama Action, so will be leaving earlier that I thought-seems right around the corner. Saving money driving down, just might convince my husband to fly down in the fall:)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I can tell you, the drive/flight home is a tear jerker. Then, over the next few weeks, grief and loss give way to contentment and pride as your child shares his/her joy, growth, and discoveries. We give them roots so they can grow wings and in the end it’s all good. No, way better than good because they’ve chosen wisely and are living in a wondrous place.</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>RTRmom2,</p>

<p>You will find Target is dorm central as the store transforms itself for students headed to campus in August. You’ll easily find everything you need there as long as it doesn’t include tension rods or poster board.:)</p>

<p>All of these posts are so very helpful! Thanks to all the parents with experience who choose to share with us newbies! We will be driving down from PA for Bama Bound July 9-10 and will then drive back in time for our S to particiapte in AA. Will load our van as much as possible and buy everything else there. Thanks again to everyone for sharing! </p>

<p>Malanai - I especially like your post about the ride home…Well said!</p>

<p>I think Malanai writes greeting cards! Always the right sentiment for the occasion.</p>

<p>Aww, thanks Cuttlefish. Does that include my Three Stooges link in the “Winging It” thread? :o</p>

<p>We were SO IMPRESSED with the Bama Bound students we saw today. They looked so fresh, involved and HAPPY! My DD commented on how they all were chatting and seemed really nice.</p>

<p>I am so glad you had a wonderful visit!!! Having students on campus was great. Now the wait begins but trust me it WILL fly by. Welcome and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>We did have a WONDERFUL visit…in fact, we are still here as DD wants to hit a store to get some 'Bama swag now that she has made her decisionto attend UA. Hope the dogs can keep their legs crossed fod a couple extra hours… :-0</p>

<p>You know the list…Shirt Shop…The Locker Room…Expeditions…Alumni Hall at Mid Town…Oh I wish I was shopping in T-Town today :)…Actually have on my list to call the The Shirt Shop and Expeditions…need a couple of new shirts :). Have fun and safe travels home (hoping you find NO puddles!!).</p>

<p>As BamaStuff on the strip was open at 8am we took full advantage…cutest acquisition was a decal of the Bear’s houndstooth fedora.</p>

<p>TXArchitect: Glad you had a great visit. It is always a good sign when your child wants the college swag after a visit. In the SupeStore they had the cutest crimson knit gloves with little pom-poms on the end of each finger. I didn’t buy them, but I wanted them.</p>

<p><a href=“12114634 Old Fashioned Tumbler 13.5 Oz 2011 Natl C | University of Alabama Supply Store”>12114634 Old Fashioned Tumbler 13.5 Oz 2011 Natl C | University of Alabama Supply Store;

<p>Malanai: I always love your posts. Moe and all. That could be the silly greeting cards!</p>