moving in..

<p>How do OOS students usually move in? I'm from NJ and i was thinking, whats the best way to get all my stuff to college? Any students from not-so-close have any suggestions for what I should do in August? thanks =]</p>

<p>I thinking about the same thing if I didn't go to UW-M, haha. I know some stores like Bed, Bath and Beyond have a program where you can order things in your city and pick them up at a store near your college, which would eliminate a lot of stuff. Also, you should find out if sending your stuff beforehand to Madison is cheaper than flying them over with yourself. Hope this helps</p>

<p>I'll be making the 2.5 day drive to Madison in August. My plan is to load up the family SUV with all of my stuff, minus what I know I can buy in Madison. This is only a 1 time thing, after that I will be flying, and over the summer, I'll find a few friends to share a storage unit, which would run like 100 bucks a month max, divided by a few people. You could also fly, and mail 4 or 5 big boxes with your stuff. My advice is take a nice road trip, see the country, stop at some ballparks, spend time w/ the rents before you go off forever.</p>

<p>That's my plan too if I go to Tulane or Penn State.</p>

<p>You can also ship your items via UPS or FedEx to your dorm and the dorm will hold the package for you to arrive. I'm from New York and did that for some things. For the rest, my family chose to drive and we loaded everything in the car.</p>

<p>This summer, I plan on shipping everything back home and next fall just ship everything back to school. It's really not an inconvenience and I think most long distance students do it.</p>

<p>I got a weird question since i am not at all familiar with the dorming process. What will you do with your TV, Lamps, Books, etc.. There is just so much **** that is part of everyday living, the shipping will be inefficient. Am I missing something? I thought I would rent a UHaul truck or something. Alanstats' idea about the storage seems good too.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Buying stuff here</p></li>
<li><p>Shipping stuff</p></li>
<li><p>UHaul</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Takes care of everything. Seriously. Any idea what dorms? If you're out of state and NJ, I'd guess Towers/Statesider. I think most of them ship in several large boxes what they need. Also, there are a lot of shops on State street with school supplies, electronics, food, etc.</p>

<p>I guess I don't know about UW because you don't find out your roommate until pretty late in the game. But for my sis, and other people I know, you communicate with your roomate, and decide what items you want in the room, such as tvs, fridge, microwave, any small furniture, video game console etc. If these are items that you are comfortable sharirng, you can divide who is responsible for what. Many people will also come with just the clothes and other items they need, and then shop for the dorm accessories with their roomie. I would probably hold off on all the TV items, and arrive with a few hundred bucks saved up to buy the neccessary things I will need for my dorm.</p>

<p>If you can't fit the stuff in a full sized car or minivan you probably don't need it. IMHO.</p>

<p>I just brought my clothes, towels, sheets and laptop to school. The TV and all that, my roomate and I agreed we'd split the cost for a cheap one (we got a 19" for 100 bucks) and decided we'll just chuck it in May. I'm from New York and he's from Maryland, so neither of us want to go through the pain of taking it back home.</p>

<p>For those with items they plan to chuck in May: there are many charitable thrift store organizations in town that would be glad to accept your donations, such as Goodwill locations on the south and near west sides, and St. Vincent de Paul and Savers on the near east.</p>

<p>damn its a long drive from Atlanta, I just hope i have the opportunity to think about going to madison...</p>

<p>I was going to post what Mary said. There are so many groups who could use those things.</p>