Moving into Dorm from OOS

<p>We are from the West Coast, and will be flying to IND to bring our D to Boiler Gold Rush. Hope this is not a stupid question, but for OOS students, can we ship a lot of our D's stuff to the dorm to be waiting for us when we arrive, or does it just make more sense to hit the Bed/Bath and Beyond/Walmart when we get there? This is all new to us, since my husband and I went to colleges within driving distance. Any suggestions/insights from OOS students???</p>

<p>Yes, you can ship stuff (double check with the residence hall first) but make sure it arrives at the residence hall maybe a day or two before (a week before is too long) you will arrive. The summer before freshmen year, I slowly bought things over the summer then shipped it all before I went to BGR, then bought the rest of my stuff when I got here.</p>

<p>Bed, Bath, Beyond has a program where you go to your local store and use a scanner to “pick” an order. Then they have your order ready and waiting at the destination store. Very useful for OOS students.</p>

<p>Just out of curiosity, why are you flying out with her for BGR? I’m sure my parents would want to do the same, but I just want to know why?</p>

<p>I agree with realtime, I think it would be less hassle to buy here instead of shipping.</p>

<p>Being an OOS student from Jersey now Washington I can give you some advice. Personally, my parents and I drove to IN from NJ my freshman year since I was taking stuff like my brother’s mini fridge he wasn’t using anymore. </p>

<p>I would recommend you guys flying out a day or two early before her assigned move-in day and try to buy some stuff ahead of time. Having a rental car out of IND would be useful obviously but it would make this trip a bit more pricier. Buying stuff ahead of time will save you plenty of time cause the whole WL area goes crazy during BGR move-in week. Not only do freshmen move in but upperclassmen as well so Walmart is hell during the first few days. </p>

<p>For stuff to pack and bring to Purdue I would recommend her just packing clothes and stuff she can’t buy in the WL area. The clothes will probably be packed in two to three suitcases so it might be a bit pricey when you fly with it. She has the option of shipping it but it would be a hassle with the timing due to the residence halls and the possibility of it arriving late. </p>

<p>For other stuff like bed sheets, hampers, supplies, etc. she can buy here at Walmart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. No need to buy all that stuff ahead of time and have more luggage or shipping problems. </p>

<p>This trip might be pricey but you wouldn’t have to do it again in the future since she can just get a place at a nearby storage center with a friend and put her stuff there. I’m sure one of her friends will have a car and will be willing to take her stuff to the storage center. The first move-in trip is always a pain for most parents and students.</p>

<p>@mongoosemuffin - are you suggesting that we would just put her on the plane and wave good-bye??? :)</p>