Moving out/summer storage unit tips

<p>Was wondering if those with experience with summer storage units etc., would take the time to list any hints or suggestions you have from doing this in past years. Main concern is to be sure everything is kept in good condition/find it come August the way you brought it in. D will be packing up and taking everything to her shared temp controlled storage unit on her own prior to the Black Belt Experience then just meeting DH in BHM at the end of May to make the trip home. She is very organized and efficient; has already started to sort through some things but since neither of us will be there to oversee we were hoping to pass along any advice those with experience might have. Do they need to put anything in the units for any type of insects etc.?</p>

<p>I did not do any prior insect proofing as the unit looked very clean however, I know that some people do that “just in case”. </p>

<p>Clean clothing was pretty much all vacuumed packed and then placed in containers, then sealed and labeled. For dress clothes, we had a hanging rack and garment bags.</p>

<p>Kitchen items were cleaned and sorted in plastic bins. Remember to throw out any food items -we did save sealed coffee in cans.</p>

<p>Vacuum and roll up rugs and seal them in large plastic bags, same goes for any pillows or large bedding items, etc.</p>

<p>You can dismantle your bike to save space and also have it serviced (if necessary) so it will be ready for the next semester.</p>

<p>Store books and school supplies in large boxes or bins, then seal in plastic bags.</p>

<p>Cover large items such as bookcases and shelving systems with sheets to keep dust free. </p>

<p>Make sure that you have a climate controlled storage facility and everything should be fine.</p>

<p>We have sprayed the inside of units before placing things inside.</p>

<p>We had climate controlled and then despite best intentions just threw everything in (in the dark) after the tornado, some not at all packaged well, blankets etc. Everything was fine, no bugs, nothing. Washed it all on move in and all was fine.</p>

<p>S’s school contracts with a company that charges by the box, at $60 each for the summer ($20 x 3mos) for a fairly large box. Take into consideration if a couple of pillows fills up a box, it’s cheaper to ditch the pillows and buy new ones next year. Likewise, if you fly back and forth to school, the airlines charge you $30 or $40 extra to bring home extra suitcases (and another $30 or $40 when you go back to school). So, storing winter clothes might be worth it.</p>

<p>My son has used a storage unit three years in a row. Climate control is best. Choosing a facility that has 24hour access is also best. </p>

<p>We also stored clothing and bedding in Space Bags and then in his large duffle bags & roller luggage. Store ALL cold weather items. Store printers and school supplies. (son has never had a problem with leaving ink cartridges installed)</p>

<p>We washed all his bedding before packing in Space Bags. </p>

<p>Keep all cleaning/laundry supplies in a separate storage bin(s). Have Toilet tissue, paper towels, trash bags…etc stocked before leaving town. Same goes for toiletries, You’re move-in will be much smoother knowing you do not have to spend hours in line at Target or Walmart for the basics.
If you need a new tall kitchen trash can, get one before you leave. Every year both stores sold out of these. Keep in mind that “community” items like lamps, trash cans, vacuum, broom & dustpan may be claimed by roommates that will not be your roommates next year. </p>

<p>Bring home only the clothes you NEED. My son brought his laptop, music, software, games and a few books. Don’t forget your charging cords for phone & MP3. If you have computer problems over the summer, you will need your back up discs. It’s better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. : )</p>

<p>It sounds like a lot of you use space bags. I’ve contemplated getting some for moving D to Bama, which she could then use to store her stuff over the summer, but I’ve read so many bad reviews of them - mostly related to air leaking back into them. What’s been your experience? If after you compress the space bags you put them into a plastic container, would that keep them compressed?</p>

<p>I’ve had mixed experience with Space Bags. Usually they do end up leaking air back in. However, they still keep all the bugs / mice out, and usually keep odors out, too. I would imagine that if you suck out the air, then pack them into a small container, they should keep their compressed shape / condition. Especially if you piled other items on top of them.</p>

<p>BTW, I’ve heard that real, authentic Tupperware is approved by the U.s. military for moving & storage of food items. “Rubbermaid” and other cheap plastic containers aren’t, but Tupperware (when properly sealed) keeps food safe from varmints.</p>

<p>There are some tricks to using space bags properly: don’t overstuff the bags, don’t try to suck out too much air, group like items together,all pillows, or all shirts, or all jeans. Laying bags flat in storage seems to work best.</p>