Moving to california, how to calculate GPA?

<p>Hi, I am moving to California for my junior year and was looking at colleges in-state at California to attend.</p>

<p>I was interested in UCSB and UCLA, but was curious on how to calculate my weighted GPA.</p>

<p>Can someone please explain this dilemma to me? Thanks!</p>

<p>there are a lot of threads on this topic which is searchable.</p>

<p>Briefly, UC gpa excludes Frosh grades and non-a-g (academic) courses. Any AP courses you take from an OOS HS will earn a bonus point per semester. Your California HS may have honors courses which can earn bonus points as well. 8 bonus points max for UC gpa.</p>

<p>AP A=5
Regular A=4
AP B=4
Regular B=3
…</p>

<p>Ok, thanks for replying.</p>

<p>Wouldn’t this put me at a disadvantage from other high school students, because they have honors classes that count and I do not?</p>

<p>Adcoms will view your current transcript with the other OOS’ers who also do not have bonus points. So they will know that you were eligible for bonus points until you moved into Calif.</p>

<p>But note that UC gpa is used only for admissions eligibility. The adcom will also see your uw gpa.</p>

<p>Do you mean UC gpa is used to determine the eliibility but admission decisions will be made on uw gpa?</p>

<p>Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up.</p>

<p>What do you mean by that, Shrinkrap?</p>

<p>Oh, shoot. I tried to take it back. Just that there are a lot of kids in California who for one reason or another, will not have access to extra points in their GPA. But never mind; perhaps that is how it is supposed to be. ( Top ten percent, or whatever it is now, and ELC).</p>

<p>Okay, I think it is 9% now. Thankfully, I already meet that and all requirements.</p>

<p>And hopefully if I am in the top 9% at the high school I will attend then I will make ELC as well.</p>