Multi-UC comparison: Health sciences and partay scenes! :D

<p>Hi everyone! Sooooooo…I’m just wrapping up the good ol’ PhD in neuroscience at UC Davis, and starting to look into post-doc opportunities in another UC. Now, OBVIOUSLY I’m going to be going wherever the research opportunities best suit my needs…but just for the heck of it, I was wondering if y’all could give me your take on the comparative social/party scenes at the various campuses!</p>

<p>See, I’ve been here in Aggieland throughout my undergrad and grad school years. Now, don’t get me wrong, UCD is a FANTASTIC university in a very nice town. But as far as the social scene goes - the whole quiet-town feel where everything goes dead after sundown and on weekends and people only really hang out with small groups of people they already know was fine for studying…but I guess for my extroverted, excitement-needing tastes I otherwise found it just…so…BORING!!!</p>

<p>I’m eyeing the research prospects at a number of California universities: UCSF, Berkeley, Stanford (not a UC of course but maybe some of you can tell me your impression of that one as well?), UCLA, UCSB, UCI, and UCSD. And obviously that’s what’s going to determine where I go.</p>

<p>BUT…to give me an idea of what to expect, at which of these can I expect a more vibrant social scene filled with wonderfully noisy crowds where hundreds of complete strangers will mingle with you for a good time? C’mon, after years living at the campus of farms and cows I need a change of pace!! Also - I know party-scenes are generally undergrad-dominated…but do you think a young, handsome post-doc will be welcome too? ;D</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Academica is full of prestige whores. Where you go should be the highest-ranked program that makes you an offer and has the research opportunities that you desire.</p>

<p>fwiw: to answer your question, Santa Barbara is the hands-on ‘party’ school of the UC system, but you will be an adult, a post-doc…do you really want to be hanging with drunk 19-year-olds?</p>

<p>Oh yes indeedy, I’ll be going wherever the grass of research prospects grows greener! Just trying to get an idea of what to expect in terms of comparative social scenes around the different campuses.</p>

<p>…And of COURSE I like partying with drunk 19 year olds, I can chug and laugh like the best of 'em! ;D</p>

<p>I’ve heard Santa Barbara is a pretty friendly one with an active, fun social scene. Do you think UCLA and UCSC would be similar?</p>