Music at Hampshire

<p>Does anyone know what it's like to be a music major or a double degree (B. Music and B.A.) student within the 5 college consortium? We're particularly interested in jazz studies. I know that U Mass, Amherst has a jazz program, but...how is it? anyone have a clue?</p>

<p>Strictly speaking, Hampshire College does not have pre-defined ‘majors’. Instead, students meet with a faculty committee to design a course of study that will satisfy a concentration in one or more areas of interest. Most students seek to integrate at least two disparate disciplines into their plan, something that would be similar to a double major. However, I don’t believe that one can actually obtain a double degree from Hampshire. Students get a B.A., and I’m not sure that they could also get a B. Musc. </p>

<p>Last year, I saw some final performance projects that involved students playing jazz, but I don’t know the details of their entire program of study. The music professors are listed here: [url=&lt;a href=“http://www.hampshire.edu/admissions/music.htm]Music[/url”&gt;Music | Hampshire College]Music[/url</a>]
They could probably tell you what you want to know.</p>