Music Composition ECs advice for High Schooler

Any advice for a high schooler deeply interested in STEM as well as Music composition? His original compositions were selected for the Strings concert at school. He plays piano and violin. Are there any composing competitions he can participate in or summer programs/ online courses he can do to build experience? Thanks

Look at Composers Site for programs and opportunities.

If he is still free this summer, look into Walden School in Dublin NH. It is a renowned and accepting environment- 6 weeks- where 50 young people write 10-15 minute pieces played by well-known musicians with whom they also eat meals.

The Walden site also has a list of opportunities that is excellent. Let me know if you cannot find it.

If there is a conservatory prep close enough that can be a resource. You can also contact a professor of composition at a college or university for lessons. Does his piano teacher also include theory?

Musicians tend to be helpful to high school composers. He can ask for volunteer or low fee readings.

There are state music teacher association competitions that arenā€™t especially prestigious but helpful. ASCAP MOrton Gould for high schoolers is a good one. From the Top. Young Arts.

Feel free to PM me.

3 Likes

Look at Berklee/Boston Conservatoryā€™s summer program for high school composers. It is only two weeks long, but it packs a lot into those weeks! The students will come out of the program with several professionally recorded pieces for their college application portfolio.

High School Composition Intensive (HSCI) | Boston Conservatory at Berklee

2 Likes

Thank you @compmom @MMRose. This is very helpful. He is doing grade 8 Music theory (ABRSM). His piano teacher is very helpful but I was hoping to find something more focused on composition. I will look into all these suggestions. Are there any online courses that you would recommend?

@MS1908 could you share more info on how to go about taking ABRSM exams? My boys (middle school) are into piano and I have seen many people take these exams but our piano teacher is not familiar with them to guide.

Just want to say the BoCo program is excellent. Also Brevard, others, but it is late in the game. I happen to know Walden is still accepting. Check Boston Conservatory as well.

Conservatories like NEC and Berklee have some continuing ed classes.
Lessons at SCE | New England Conservatory (necmusic.edu) Donā€™t know if they are online.

Again, best bet is to have a private teacher at a conservatory prep or university. Can be a grad student or even someone with a doctorate who is teaching too.

If he can get into Walden, the 6 weeks to learn and practice composition is without parallel but BoCo at two weeks is good too. He really should try to do a summer program this year if at all possible.

I donā€™t know how to articulate this but noone can teach you to compose. You evolve on your own. But a teacher can guide that growth.

2 Likes

They can take online exams or in person. You can find your local ABRSM rep here for more information.
https://us.abrsm.org/en/exam-booking/local-exam-contacts/

1 Like

Thank you !!

Oh you meant online theory? Check out vhslearning.org. I believe they have a good AP music theory offering. VHS Course Catalog (vhslearning.org)

I second Walden, if at all possible. It is an amazing program - Iā€™m really sorry my son never participated. Itā€™s quite extraordinary in its faculty.

Depending on where you live there should be composers available for private lessons - and lessons are also available on line if you donā€™t live in a community with easy access to programs.

2 Likes

As a music professional, if your kiddo is really interested in music comp., research schools, and their comp professors and have them reach out. The way it works at most schools is that comp professors (piano professors, violin professors etc) have limited room in their studios and they hand pick who they want to teach. They have limited openings every year. So start early do research and find a composer who your kid relates to, respects their music and thinks they would enjoy working with. IN ADDITION, find out where those folks spend their summer and try to go to spend time there. The biggies are Tanglewood, Aspen, Interlochen, and Idlywild (CA). I also second Walden for composers. Butā€¦ following the teacher is more important than the summer program itself. AP theory is either here nor there IMO. Your kid will have to take a theory and ear training placement test regardless of the AP testā€¦ Iā€™d rather they spend time on their music, learning an engraving program like Sibelius and listening to music! Yes this is a thing. Most kids going into college as music majors have NO IDEA what music has been written beyond their instrumentā€¦ especially music written in the 20th century. If your kid can spend time listening to music, knowing who the ā€˜bigā€™ composer are TODAY, that will go a long way. The icing on the cake would be to find out who their soon-to-be composition teacherā€™s teacher/composer of influence is. For example, if your kiddo is interested in the UMich comp department, many of those folks were influenced by Bill Bolcom or Pierre Boulez or John Cage, and the like. So, I would have your kid get familiar with their music. ALL their music: chamber, instrumental, orchestral, electronic, etc. And come with questionsā€¦ composers love to talk so get them talking! IMO focus LESS on AP Theory exam and MORE on the art of music making. The music is the most important thing when applying as a composer. Good luck!

1 Like

I would suggest he read ā€œThe Rest is Noiseā€ by Alex Ross and listen to a lot of 20th-21st century composers- agreeing with @DrPrimo.

However, for a beginning composer, I think Walden is best because all levels attend: Walden looks for creative kids, and there are advanced high school composers as well as novices: all seem to write amazing pieces. Boston Conservatory and Brevard are also good.

At the high school level, I donā€™t think you have to worry yet about the particular aesthetic of teachers, at least until you have established a ā€œvoiceā€ of your own or a direction. A good teacher is not directive but facilitates the growth that you have on your own.

To apply for a BM you need a few pieces and it helps a lot to have them played by excellent musicians. This is one of the main values of summer programs. Occasionally you can find local/regional musicians who will do a reading for free or low cost. For BA programs it helps to have at least one good piece, to include in a supplement.

1 Like

Wow! Incredible advice! Thank you everyone! This is so so helpful.

Feel free to PM me and good luck!