Music Industry

<p>Any opinions on their Music Industry Program?</p>

<p>My son is a music industries major at Loyola NO and is quite happy. The head of the program, John Snyder, has won numerous Grammys and is extremely knowledgeable. My son is also the drummer in the jazz ensemble and plays many gigs in New Orleans. The Thelonious Monk Institute has just relocated to Loyola from Univ of Southern California and the director, jazz great Terence Blanchard, will be at my son's jazz combo session tomorrow.</p>

<p>Loyola New Orleans is the only Jesuit university that has a College of Music. Katrina fallout has been a challenge but New Orleans and jazz are moving ahead.</p>

<p>My S (also a drummer) auditioned for Jazz at Michigan and Miami and interviewed for Recording Arts at Jacobs. No accpetance so far but he’s recently discovered Loyola NO and is very interested in both Jazz Studies and Music Industry. The music school is being very helpful - allowing him to submit audition materials this late. I am just wondering how selective these programs are…hate to see him disappointed again!</p>

<p>The selectivity of this program depends on the course of study the student wishes to pursue. I believe that if he is going for a Bachelor’s of Music with a concentration in Music Industry Studies he must audition, if he is going for a Bachelor’s of Science in MIS there is no audition, but there are some GPA requirements. </p>

<p>I had several friends graduate from the Music Industry Studies program who are really living up to what the program is designed to offer. One works as a senior video editor for Deltree Productions here in New Orleans, one is in law school at Loyola Marymount studying entertainment law, and one works for Epitaph Records in Los Angeles.</p>

<p>I know Loyola is also home to the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz Studies, something else worth checking out.</p>

<p>The music industry program here at Loyola is great. As a music industry student, I have received so much support from faculty and staff and my other students. The program is competitve, but everyone here are extremely talented. I am a senior now, but this program has afforded me so many opportunities including an internship at MTV in New York. I definitely encourage anybody interested in working in the music industry or an artist should most definitely get involved with the program. Trust me, you will walk away after four years a better artist and will have gained so much knowledge and exposure.</p>