Music Scene

<p>I’m going to Alabama on scholarship and I am nervous that there isnt a big music scene (that isnt country) around campus or in the state as a matter of fact. Is there local hangouts that have bands play? Are concerts a big deal?</p>

<p>The Tuscaloosa amphitheater has a lot of really famous bands and singers; I’m sure you could find a schedule of performances online. Students also attend concerts in Birmingham or Atlanta. Bars have live performances sometimes also. Country music is probably the most popular, but there’s plenty of variety for those who aren’t into country.</p>

<p>The music varies. Everyone likes whatever they want to like. I live in Alabama and everyone at my school listened to everything from country to rap to heavy metal. It’s your preference. As reginaphalange said, the Tuscaloosa amphitheater has some artists of every genre coming. I know Juicy J is coming in September, and I’ve heard a rumor that Beyonce is coming.</p>

<p>Especially among OOS students, many UA students are not country music fans. In fact, dubstep and rap are very popular at UA. The choice of music will vary depending on the group you’re hanging out with. </p>

<p>Also, don’t dismiss country music for the occasional twang or some of the storylines. There is no requirement to like all of a genre. For example, many people who don’t like country still enjoy Johnny Cash, know that “I Will Always Love You” was written by Dolly Parton, and own Shania Twain Albums. Plus, it’s often fun to sing along to “Dixieland Delight” at football games, especially with the added lyrics (including some about a certain school that has the same mascot as LSU). :)</p>

<p>My kids like all kinds of music, I think that’s true of many UA students. I asked my son what kind of music is at The Dixie (on the Strip) and he said all kinds. </p>

<p>And, yes, the new Outdoor Amphitheater is featuring all kinds of music.</p>

<p>This was a top topi for my high school son. He was very frustrated that there was only 1 FM rock station he could find.</p>

<p>We talked to a few students and he found enough students interested in various types of music. </p>

<p>The local music scene is still very lacking for my punk/emo music fan. For me, the worst scenario is he’ll come home to visit in summers to get his music fix, which suits me just fine.</p>

<p>The rock music scene is lacking but there is a great record shop called Oz Music on 15th street and I know they frequently have shows they coordinate.</p>

<p>My Bama kid doesn’t really use the radio much anymore. He mostly uses either his iPod with his choices, or uses his phone and listens to his choices using Pandora (I think that’s what it’s called…lol)</p>