Music Supplement

Looking at the website’s instructions for music supplements, it refers over and over to “audio recordings.” Yet online, I see many video music supplements that were submitted to Yale (some of the kids with videos were accepted). Anyone know if Yale prefers audio only supplements? Nothing in the instructions explicitly excludes videos…

1 Like

@RussianMom

1 Like

It’s not a problem to call them. Ask about music resume and letters of recommendation related to music as well. We also asked if they wanted a section cued (at Harvard) and they said yes, three minutes.

ps there is an excellent music major forum on CC, that is not limited to those majoring in music

2 Likes

D23 submitted her video recordings to Yale as an undergraduate applicant, she already had those recorded for her prescreens for music schools and conservatories.

Her private flute instructor submitted supplementary LOR after D23 was deferred at Yale, and also submitted one for her to support her application at Harvard after she was waitlisted.

When in doubt, call or email! Every call my daughter had to make to admission offices with her questions was answered in detail and reduced her stress and anxiety.

4 Likes

@parentologist ??

Thank you!

I believe that my kid submitted only audio recordings, because that was what was requested. They had a good mic that cost about $100 that their teacher had recommended, for making such recording. These recordings were very different from what they had submitted as prescreens for competitions, or as pre-auditions/pandemic auditions for schools of music. The one for the non-music schools were short, only 3 minutes, and audio only, as instructed. Keep in mind that this is only a supplement for a school which doesn’t have performance music majors - the admissions committee doesn’t have time to listen to an entire concerto, or even one movement of a concerto. If everything else on the application is acceptable, and they’re interested, they might send the recording over to the relevant prof at the music school at Yale (grad only) and ask for their opinion.

Another thing. Musical ability and achievement is only a hook if the admissions comm thinks that your kid is hoping to continue playing at the college, in the orchestra, pit orchestras, jazz band, whatever. They’re not interested in a history of achievement in music, if it’s a done deal and the applicant doesn’t appear likely to contribute to the college’s music performing arts scene.

1 Like

I disagree about that last point made by @parentologist. There is no way for any school to be sure that an applicant wants to continue with performance, first of all. Second of all, serious commitment to music shows a lot about an applicant beyond musical talent (and good letters of recommendation will also show more about the student than talent). Hard work, discipline, working with others, leadership, intellectual skills, sophistication and curiosity (about various genres, about musical history and theory etc., also about other areas of study), ability to overcome challenges etc. etc…

Very true. And playing varsity sports, especially as a 3 season athlete, shows similar dedication. But being a recruited athlete puts the applicant into a different admissions category from the kid who just played sports well. Highly selective schools are not actively seeking retired high school athletes. Retired high school trombonists wont fill their pit orchestras, bands, or symphonies.

Of course there is no guarantee that a musician will continue to play at college, nor is there any guarantee that the recruited athlete wont quit the team. The admissions commitee is taking a gamble on every student they admit. But surely, if the applicant’s big EC is a deep dive into performance music, they’re hoping that the kid is gonna play at college. Acceptance to highly selective schools happens because the school wants something. In the case of performing artists, that something is performing art, at the college.

2 Likes

We can agree to disagree!

We are very much banking on this as I am sure OP is. SHowing high level interest, producing a high level supplement and contacting both the department and specific teacher will hopefully be helpful.

Interesting discussion - DD will submit a music supplement (still undecided to take the joint approach with the school of music as its an option that can be picked up later it seems); doing a college tour in august which should be interesting

2 Likes

@Jkb2, what is their instrument/voice? My daughter made a decision to apply for Yale’s joint program during her sophomore year at Yale.

Previous Flute professor was not keen on teaching undergrads, so chances were nil to apply and be accepted as a freshman. There is a new Flute professor at Yale, hoping things will improve as far as undergrads being accepted into the joint program with the Yale School of Music for that particular instrument. BA/MM program is very selective, from what I heard. It would be interesting to see the program acceptance stats, anecdotally, it is “a couple of people”.

1 Like

Hi clarinet - thats helpful context thank you; we have booked a tour but will get DD to email and see if there is any more that we can do whilst there.

She is currently intending to go single choice early action; however now looking at this and other deadlines i am wondering whether that rule her out of pre screenings elsewhere?

I think you can only apply your third year. My son is also considering. :slight_smile:

EA at Yale just means you know if you get in earlier (and you can’t apply EA anywhere else). It won’t affect any prescreens or potential auditions as you do not need to make any decisions until April 30 if accepted Early Action.

Thanks - you can apply for YSM alongside the Yale application - they are treated separately . Still waiting to hear if there are undergrad spaces in the studio for ‘24. I think it’s a very long shot and suspect they tend to take very few in to YSM at 18?

You cannot apply EA if you are applying to the BA/MM. My son chose the option of EA to Yale College and may audition for the BA/MM in his junior year. It is indeed quite difficult to get into the program as a freshman as you must compete with the graduate students applying. My son decided he would rather apply EA and get in that way.

1 Like

@delynnel, hope your son is doing well! Is he at Yale? My D23 is a freshman there and still considering BA/MM, if everything goes as she plans. Feel free to DM me!

1 Like

Yes, my son is at Yale and also considering auditioning for the BA/MM his third year… has to see how things go first. :slight_smile: Congratulations to your daughter.

1 Like