Musicschoolcentral.com - looking for feedback/experience

This company has a plethora of positive reviews on their web site but I can only find two comments (from the same thread) on here about them. One is an inquiry like mine and the other is a comment from someone who is just offering their opinion.

I’m thinking that with so many positive reviews, you’d find more people on CC who have worked with him as a consultant.

Anyone out there that can comment? Looking for feedback from parents that have actually worked with him. I have a very advanced, serious music student. I have a hunch I don’t need him but we are looking at getting some kind of application help and are considering all options right now. Thank you!

What kind of help are you looking for? Maybe try posting your questions here first and see if the very helpful senior members of this group can help!

Does your student have a private teacher? If so, you should inquire with that teacher on if another service is necessary and why.

Many people on this site have experienced, private teachers and music programs (i.e., Sat music schools) that provide this type of assistances at no extra charge. The private teacher through their experience, knowledge and connections usually assists with the list of schools and repertoire etc. My D’s Sat music school even provided the space and recording equipment (as did her high school). Her teacher and accompanist showed up to assist in picking the best selections. STILL, many do the recordings at home now (and probs share it with their teachers). My D’s experience was some time ago so things have changed. But, bottom line, you see less discussion on the music site bc it is the private teacher doing a lot of this guidance.

If you do not have an experienced teacher or program to lean on, it may make sense. Or if you are very busy and cannot provide much assistance to your kid and want to “outsource it”…sure that’s fine too.

For musical theater, I know outside consulting groups are common. Many MT kids do up to 20 apps/auditions. Music is different. You often get it down below 10…so maybe 6 to 8ish auditions. And, often music kids are doing summer programs, meeting teachers over a few years…it’s a bit of a smaller world where connections are made directly…making a “service” less necessary. That doesn’t mean it’s bad in any way. Just an explanation on why you don’t see much discussion. It could help you…but it is in NO way necessary for acceptance to a top program. That is based on talent…not the “packaging”.

Anywho…that’s my 2 cents…

3 Likes

We used an MT/acting program for my older one for exactly the reasons you outline above. There is no “teacher,” each program is so different and he applied to over 20. If OPs child is an advanced musician who is learning on their own or through an at home teacher then it certainly may be reasonable to do something like this, but I had never heard of it before.

1 Like

I did find this thread from a few years ago, not sure if these are the comments on CC you are referencing.

With my son’s application and audition process a few years ago, he had all of the services that are referenced in the first testimonial through his private teacher. But I suppose it may depend on the teacher.

As an aside, the first testimonial has so much personal information about the student that I know exactly who it is! I know it is the parents being interviewed, but somehow I am a bit bothered by it.

They actually gave their and her first and last name! I have to say that most places that do this are not private. My S21 used MTCA and they list on their website kids names, photos and final decisions so…

1 Like

Yes, my daughter has an excellent teacher and a full music program at a very well known pre-college prep division of a good university. I am considering working with a consultant for a number of different reasons and to possibly supplement what her teacher will do.

I will be doing that but I just find it curious that he has all those reviews and very few mentions on this site as CC is a pretty well known site for college applicants.

Wow…I learn something new every day. I did not listen to the entire video and so missed the stated names. Not thinking I would want my kid’s name, acceptances and merit offers for schools out on a public site. I realize it is not a requirement for his services to provide a testimonial success story, but still is bothersome to me.

1 Like

For MTCA you could opt out, but everyone did it, with their headshots. If you google and my previous posts you could easily find my kid

@CookieJar personally I do not think you need it. This organization is an admirable entrepreneurial effort by the young man but I would say families and students here on CC get the same results, and your daughter has the teacher, the conservatory prep program and peers as resources.

I think the only really good reason for a consultant is to help the relationship between parents and kids.

I am PM’ing you with some more info. Look on the top right.

5 Likes

Another option is ArtsBridge. They have a summer program that hires faculty from a variety of music schools as well as options for college counseling services specifically designed for arts major-bound applicants.

We did not use the college counseling service, but my S22 did an “assessment” session with them in which he was matched with faculty members from two different schools, did a mock audition with them and received feedback from them as well as from the ArtsBridge counselor on where he was musically, how appropriate his repertoire was, etc. It was a less expensive way to get information we felt we needed as a supplement/verification to his private teacher’s advice and repertoire choice.

1 Like

Thank you so much, did not know of this program, will check it out!

1 Like

We are using Music School Central, and so far, we’ve been very happy with it. My son is on the spectrum and I feel like we need a lot of help with preparing for what’s expected of him at auditions. We have good private teachers, but not a lot of support from his school, and it’s been a while since most of them have auditioned. My son is a jazz and classical singer, and we got to meet with professors from both disciplines and get some feedback on his audition songs. We’re just getting started on the resume/interview prep, so I’ll know more about that soon. Bill (from Music School Central) seems very conscientious and helpful.

Looks like this is only for singers

1 Like

Singers, MT, and actors (and visual arts), I believe you’re correct. Sorry, I didn’t see anywhere that the OP said what discipline their child is pursuing.

thx!

It looked interesting! I thought I had heard about it for my MT kid, so I looked again. I had assumed the OPs child was an instrumentalist from their answers but it would help to know.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience.

1 Like

Just wanted to throw my two cents in: I did a consultation and he pitched himself at $15,000. The program sounded nice, but for me, I think spending the amount of what could pay for a literal semester of college for a consulting company is absurd

Am looking for possible recommendations for college admissions consultants (or helpful resources) specializing in admissions to music conservatories or college music programs in US, for my D who is a Junior in HS. Read this thread, and will look into musicschoolcentral , but hoping
might be other recommendations / advice - and don’t have $15k-$20k for this (already have 2 other daughters ahead of her). Replies on here seemed very knowledgeable. My D is interested in pursuing her college music degree, specializing in classical voice and opera. She has an amazing voice and recently was accepted and attended the Boston University Tanglewood Institute Young Adult Voice program this past summer. Her mother and I know little to nothing about the process or requirements of getting into music schools (her older sisters were nursing and business), but trying to learn quickly, and looking for professional help or advice - as whole process seems a bit daunting. My D has a good choir program and instructor at her high school and has a good local private voice coach, but that is it as options are more limited where we live (Austin, Texas) compared to other parts of country. Any recommendations / advice is appreciated. Thanks! Jeff