Must See CNN Documentary on Latino H.S. Students in Science & Eng "Don't Fail Me"

<p>I don't know if anyone else caught it last night but Soledad O'Brien did a very good documentary on CNN last night called "Don't Fail Me". It is going to be shown again on May 21 at 8 p.m. ET on CNN. It followed Maria Castro and her robotics team at a low-income all Latino High School in Arizona as well as two students from two other economic areas in the country. The documentary discussed the extremely low numbers of Latinos in science and engineering and the success of these Latino students due to sheer will and dertermination. It inspired me and made me angry. </p>

<p>There is a companion story about how Maria Castro got her high school to teach math classes after school in order for her to be able to take calculus senior year which will allow her to apply to Stanford. </p>

<p>The link to the documentary discussion and to Maria's story is below. I highly recommend watching the program with your children. </p>

<p>Video</a> - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com</p>

<p>Student's</a> success defies all odds - CNN</p>

<p>I hadn’t seen this but I am very interested in catching it when it comes repeates on the 21st.</p>

<p>I don’t think the point was to focus on Latinos in school.</p>

<p>Rather, it was about how different students strive to succeed with the resources available at their respective schools. The students shown should all be praised for their determination; it’s silly to single out the Latina.</p>

<p>[YouTube</a> - ‪Education in America: Don’t Fail Me Part 1‬‏](<a href=“Education in America: Don't Fail Me Part 1 - YouTube”>Education in America: Don't Fail Me Part 1 - YouTube)</p>

<p>In full on youtube.</p>

<p>Chato999-thank you for posting the youtube video.</p>