My chance to transfer to Texas A&M University (Petroleum Engineering major)

<p>Hi every one,
I am taking AS degree for major Petroleum Engineering at Houston Community College (HCC) and I will graduate at Spring semester 2015. My GPA now is just around 3.3. I did not graduate high school in USA. (I have only been in USA for 4 years.)
I am going to transfer to Texas A&M for the last 2 years to get bachelor degree. Do you think I have any chance to get in Texas A&M? I really want to get in Texas A&M. Do you think what I should do to increase my chance?
Thanks in advance! </p>

<p>I was originally going for P.E. but I basically got shot down with that same gpa. You have a chance to get in to the school, and even the engineering program, but I highly doubt petroleum. Also you should know that if you try for Mechanical engineering, they won’t even look at your application if you put them as your second choice. Good luck with everything!</p>

<p>@Zabbles: Thank you for your information. I highly appreciated it.
Can I ask you a couple questions? So did they accept your transfer application? Did you get in? Did you apply early? and/or what school are you going now?
I know that they are only accept students who are in top 5% - 10%, but I really want to get in Texas A&M for my major Petroleum Engineering. My 3.3 GPA is not good enough. I will try to apply early and give it a shot.</p>

<p>bump</p>

<p>I just got back from the petroleum seminar and the advisor said they expect 800 people to apply for transfer next semester including change of major within A&M, and they will only accept 40 people. So 5% acceptance rate. And if you have C’s in any math, science or engineering classes you get automatically declined. </p>

<p>That’s different numbers compared to what they stated in a different meeting with current students.</p>

<p>My son is at TAMU in his first semester. During a PetE meeting they stated about 700 kids apply and they will accept around 150 and will accept about 15 transfers. So roughly 20% of current TAMU students will get accepted and others will have to find a different major or can apply again the next semester.</p>

<p>When the adviser was asked about selection criteria all he said was “we accept the best”. There are essays to write along with an application and an interview. It was not said but my son came away with the impression that anything less than a 4.0 would have trouble getting admitted to PetE. Definitely needed a 4.0 in your math, science and engineering classes.</p>

<p>I was at a new student conference in May and the PetE advisor said 3.5 would be competitive.</p>

<p>Julian075 - What petroleum seminar were you at recently? Was it for current students are applying for next semester?</p>

<p>Wooww… Those are great information for me. I greatly appreciate it.
I think to get better chance, I have to reach at least 3.5 GPA + an essay + no C’s on all my math, science and engineering classes.
Thank you guys!</p>

<p>Wow… As an OOS thinking of applying Im now having second thoughts. I know I want PetE but I have a hard time possibly paying almost $40k+ for a chance to get into PetE. The only reason I would be applying to TAMU was only for the PetE program. Does anyone have insight as how they are picking the lucky few? Physics 208 and or 218 depending on validation could be the killer course by itself. One B and your screwed from going after the major you want. If I PetE was not available to me, I would transfer to another school that had PetE.</p>

<p>To offset the OOS monies, I would definitely join the Corps, as I have heard that they have various resources in studying as they put academic success first.</p>

<p>I would talk to an advisor in the PetE department before making a decision.</p>

<p>GPA 60%, 15%interview ,15% essay and 10%i nvolvement. They are gonna conduct 200 interview based on other 85% and pick 160 out of them. For physics course, my professor said he would only give top 15% people A’s. </p>

<p>Thank you guys so much for more information.
I have GPA 3.3. I have one B on Math class, one on Chem 1, one on Engl 1301. (I got B on History class and Art class also. That’s why it affect my GPA). I do not have any C.
Do you guys think I should retake those classes, or at least Math, Chem, and Engl class to get A’s to have higher GPA and better chance to transfer to TAMU?</p>

I am studying at Lonestar Community college

I had a 3.6 high school GPA
SAT:1650
3.76 college GPA(had a C in calculus 1 but re took it now an A)
TAKEN
Cal I, Cal II, Cal III
Physics 1 and II
Chemistry I and II
English I and II
History I and II
Government I and II
I’m Hispanic( if that helps)
I’m wondering if my chances are good at getting into Mechanical Enginnering at Dwight.