My Chances at Purdue! Plz chance me for Engineering!

<p>Moved from Bolivia ten years ago, both my parents are college educated my dad was a civil engineer. I am looking to follow his footsteps as an aeronautical engineer at Purdue University! What are my chances of getting into the engineering school at Purdue University. Here are my stats:</p>

<p>GPA: 3.36 Weighted GPA
SAT: 1500/2400 and 1610/2400
fIrst time: 490 on CR, 490 Writing, and 520 on math
second time: 520 on CR, 580 On Writing, and 510</p>

<p>Overall I have 12 AP's and honors classes:
Honors World History
Honors Biology
Honors English
AP World History
AP United States
AP Comp Sci
AP Calc AB
AP Physics C
AP English
AP Gov
Honors Physics
i have a lot of EC including chess club president, treasurer of history honor society, and others just have a lot. Have done 100 hours of community service at my church. And varsity swimming all four years of high school.</p>

<p>Essay; great essay about my familys struggle to come to the United States.</p>

<p>What do you think plz all comments are very appreciated... Thank you and if you ask me to chance you i will.</p>

<p>anyone please???</p>

<p>honestly…i doubt you would get in…those stats are kind of low for purdue engineering…</p>

<p>Pretty low chances, your sat scores aren’t that great, the math score is too low, while the reading and writing could be ignored sort of since your first language wasn’t english. GPA is also pretty low due to the amount of Ap Class’s that you’ve taken.</p>

<p>As lilaznboi said, your math score is too low and could’ve had your reading and writing score ignored. If you maybe scored over a 650+ you would’ve had a better chance, and a 700+ would’ve helped tremendously…</p>

<p>Thank you all for commenting just wanted to get honest input. I’m guessing nobody else is going to comment, I was a accepted a couple of weeks ago just wanted to get real input thank you everyone who commented. I trusted in Jesus tats all I can say I was not anywhere near there average but I had faith. Not sure if I’m going to end up there bc I’m out of state and it’s costs 36k. I’m praying tat I get some scholorships, thank you all again. God bless and go Boilermakers!!</p>

<p>One more thing does anyone have any information on the air force ROTC at Purdue? Purdue is a great school and I would hate to not go there bc I can’t afford it.</p>

<p>You got in? Really? Surprising… Could’ve applied FYE myself then… But congrats though. Well if your thinking about getting a scholarship for ROTC right now I think you’re abit late if someone else can clarify it for me. My current roommate has a full scholarship for ROTC and said he had to do interviews and all this other physical fitness test stuff all his senior year. Not completely sure though.</p>

<p>O dang ya I was researching it and the deadline was Dec.1. I can apply for it next year, but ya the decision came to me as a shock since my math sat is just horrible I don’t know y since Im in calculus this year and
math isn’t very hard for me. I think it’s tat I’m not good with huge exams which I need to get used to. But ya I was shocked at the decision but I feel tat my grades and rigor of course in math and science helped a lot and my personal statement. But I thank God everyday hopefully I’ll go to Purdue in the fall. Do you know which residence halls are the best?I need to research a lot bc Purdue is ranked very high in aeronautical engineering which is my intended major and it’s my top choice school it’s just da money issue. Again Ty for ur thoughts God bless!</p>

<p>Well congrats man. The rigor of your courses definitely helped you. Look at my past thread on Current Freshmen, I posted a description of every dorm. The best dorms imo is Earhart, Shreve, Harrison, McCutcheon and Hillenbrand. All more expensive. Best cheap dorms imo are Tark and Owen.</p>

<p>Ya man thxs so much for responding to all my messages!! I really appreciate it, you know I just believe I’ve been tremendously blessed from God to be accepted to Purdue. I am def looking to take full advantage of the high quality education at Purdue, my main focus is to earn my degree in engineering at all cost. If I end up at Purdue my intentions are not to party, not to be led astray! My family and I came to this country with $100 and trusted God. Now I have to take full advantage of this opportunity and study hard these next few years in college. Again ty for responding to all my questions and ty for the other thread which answered a lot of my questions. I am def not looking to join any sorority or frat or watever they are called.God bless and happy holidays!!</p>

<p>congrats on getting in. did you by any chance take any ap tests and what did you get on those? b/c based on SAT and gpa alone something seemed off for purdue engineering though i am not sure what the admissions people look at. but now that you are in and considering going, you have passed the first hurdle. however, i would advise against resting on your laurels which you seem to be well aware. like i say in most of my posts, purdue admits lots of people but less than 1/3 of the people who start graduate in 4 years and less then 2/3 graduate in 6 years. i have many friends who started in engineering and i would say a good 2/3 of them either transferred to an easier major or left purdue completely. with your SAT math scores, i would say you’re going to have some trouble with FYE and could be weeded out. chem 115/116 and engr 106 are the courses my engineering friends complained about and those caused them to drop out. so best of luck.</p>

<p>Regarding the drop-out: My friend who studied the computer engineering has not finished BS for the last 7 years. He started an internship when he was a senior. After that, he found new jobs with no trouble, thanking to the school’s good reputation in the industry. Now, he is paid about $130K, and he says he cannot go back to school and endure all those hard work just to get a degree. Instead, he is studying at UCLA for business degree after work.</p>

<p>ya thxs so much. I mean i have taken the hardest possible courses possible that were offered at my school. I started taking advanced English courses starting from honors English freshman year to AP English my senior year even though my native language is not english. My weakness in my GPA has been due to the fact that I did not care about my electives, gym, and drivers ed. That has been my weakness throughout high school. Those easy courses could have easily bumped my GPA to at least a 3.7. I got constant C+ and B’s in gym because I didn’t really care about. Dont get my wrong here I am not out of shape or anything, I’ve been on varsity swimming all four years and I have competed in highly regarded swim meets on the east coast. I got a C in drivers ed because i didn’t care about it either. There are also a couple of other courses that I got B’s in that I could easily have earned A’s. But for my main courses like math, science, history, and english i have always taken those classes seriously. All my AP’s I have earned A’s in except AP Computer Science A which was a B. Here are the list of my grades/scores of my AP’s. Ive taken mostly all honors classes since freshman year. I stopped taking English honors after freshman year, but continued to AP English senior year. </p>

<p>AP World History: A, 4 on the exam.
Ap United States History: A, 4 on the exam.
AP Computer Science: B, 2 on the exam :frowning:
AP English Lit/Comp: Currently an A, should get a 3 or 4 on the exam.
AP Government: A, looking to get a 4 or 5.
AP Physics C: A, should be really hard exam ill most likely get a 2.
AP Calculus AB: B, should get a 3 on the exam.</p>

<p>Don’t underestimate math in Engineering. A LOT of my friends struggle with the classes and they also scored 4’s/5’s on the AP Calc AB and BC exam. Just be ready for the math classes.</p>

<p>Honestly, I think you’ll have trouble with the rigor of the math classes, but I wish you the best. And those math classes are critical to a mastery of engineering.</p>

<p>Ya in no way I’m saying that engineering is going to be easy. Who knows it might be too much for and I’ve thought about tat b4 I think it’s mainly bc I want to make my dad proud since he was a civil engineer. But my backup would be either accounting or predentistry it all depends. Trusting God through this time, the big concern is losing a year if i struggle from the start.</p>

<p>If engineering is what you want, and you realize that you have had trouble with math, then you’ll know that you’ve got to really study for those math quizzes and tests. Study groups and office hours both help you in that respect. A lot of people have trouble with math, including many engineering students. Some kids just sit back and see the answer in their einstein-like minds, others have to bust their butts studying to get a good grade. You can be one of the latter, and still get an A, and employers look upon that initiative as a good thing.</p>

<p>As Balthezar said, take advantage of the study groups and office hours. I’m pretty sure other fellow students would be down for a study group. Also take advantage of the Math Lab I believe it was called that, it’s in the Math Building next to CL50 and Beering. Alot of TA’s and Profs. tutor students that need help. To be honest, if you graduate with a 3.0+ from Purdue Engineering then your fine. My friend graduated with a 3.07 had internships at AMD and Intel during the summers and now works at AMD with a $60k salary.</p>

<p>Wow ya definitely going to follow ur advice! I really need to set forth standards for myself early on in college. I am actually now thinking about taking some courses like calculus maybe over again over the summer at my local community college to get me prepared for the hard math classes at Purdue. I could also get some required freshman courses out of the way. Engineering has been something I’ve wanted to do ever since I was small and when I found an interest in airplanes it got me thinking about a possible major. I wont know my potential until I try out engineering. I am not sure of Aeronautical engineering requires computer science or not, but if it does I really need get a head start. I took AP Computer Science A but kinda had a tough time with it, hopefully in college if I take the course it will come much easier for me. Again thank you for your input I really need to find the right roommate that will push me beyond my limits of studying and I will also push him to his potential. Again I am not sure if I will be attending Purdue in the fall because of the financial issue. Thank you for the advice and Happy Holidays. God bless!!</p>