My Chances? (Fall '07)

<p>Hey, I have a couple of questions:</p>

<p>1) What are my chances of getting in with....
--29 ACT
--4.2 W GPA
--Top Band (Last year's grammy school), Marching Band (leader), Pep Band, Steel Band. 2 instruments
--all AP classes...and Calc III at U of IL.</p>

<p>2) Do I have a better chance at getting in if I apply ED or EA? I'm leaning toward ED.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Ken</p>

<p>Your chances are good!</p>

<p>Thanks for the response. I'm looking forward to applying this fall...</p>

<p>hey! you have pretty nice stats...</p>

<p>i am in the same position as you, i will probably be applying EA next year. cool...</p>

<p>That's good! I visited the campus in November and well, it was a little bit nicer than Chicago weather. It was like 85 and no clouds. I figure if I'm leaving Illinois for college, Miami's the place I want to be.</p>

<p>Still trying to figure out the differences in ED/EA....</p>

<p>yeah, hopefully I will be visiting the campus sometime near the end of march. I hear it's amazing.</p>

<p>I suggest you do EA, with your stats you may want to keep your options available.</p>

<p>Kensir: You'll get in. As for scholarships, if the incoming class this year got better than last years (mine), it's hard to say. If you want to know more about the school (things you won't really find on bulletins or pamphlets), you can find me on aim, my screen name is in my profile I believe. </p>

<p>rjmxc: "I suggest you do EA, with your stats you may want to keep your options available." </p>

<p>Let me explain to you my position. First of all know that I'm a freshman here at UM. Now I get your comment. If he gets into a 'better' school, he should go, right? It depends. The things that make UM great are things you really won't find at other schools, especially not Harvard/MIT/Yale/<insert dream="" school="" here="">. The campus is one of them. The only campus I like more is Princeton's and that's just because it looks so nice/established (not to mention the trees make it amazing in autumn). The social life is like none other as well. People say Boston and Cambridge are college towns (well maybe not Cambridge, but MIT is there so yeah). That's great but I don't like always having to be bogged down inside because it's 50 degrees outside on a warm day. It's somewhere around 75 degrees here. Perfect temperature to be outside. Heck, I went to South Beach today. </insert></p>

<p>Aside from those things, also understand that University of Miami is a pretty young school. 81 years old this year, I believe. The sad part is that it's only been 'serious' for about 25-30 of those. In 20 years (with the previous president), the endowment changed from $47 million-ish in 1980 to $500 million-ish in 2000. We just finished the billion dollar Momentum campaign (I think like $600 million of that go to the medical campus). My point is that this school is only getting better and better. </p>

<p>It's kind of like having to choose whether you want to go to a corporation or a small business. The corporation is established and all that but there isn't much creativity. The small business is a place you can thrive and gain recognition.</p>

<p>UM students and faculty know it's a great school. Most people outside of Florida don't know that (hell, I didn't and I'm from Jersey). We're trying to change that with the students we're taking in, the way we present ourselves (there is a billion dollar construction project underway), and by our achievements (research, events held, etc).</p>

<p>Err... I hope I made my point. If not I'll sum it up quickly: UM is a 'good/great' 55~ish ranked school [US NEWS] on it's way to becoming an 'amazing' top ranked school (if I had to guess I'd say something like 30s in terms of rank, eventually that is).</p>

<p>Wheeee... long post.</p>

<p>I definetly see your point... I basically made that comment because I did not know if UM was his #1 or not... your argument is well taken though</p>

<p>Excellent Response. Some good thoughts in there. The thing about it being a thriving campus, I could really see that just spending one day there. Compared to other schools there is something about it. Also, it is my #1 as of now, but I still have a while until I apply. Again, thanks for your input everyone!</p>