My chances?

I’m applying to grade 6.

I think I have great teacher recs but my school doesn’t do letter grades like A,B,C. I’m the best student in my class though.
all 9s on ISEE

I’m really involved in theater, dance, and music (20+ hours a week) but I don’t have any awards because I haven’t done competitions. I do some sports but not competitively so didn’t mention but did say I was interested in doing.

I’m a really good writer for my age so I think my essays were good and my interview went okay to well (I got a bit nervous).

What do you think my chances at top NYC and NJ schools are? I only applied to 3 in all which maybe was a mistake. I go to public school and don’t have a fallback. My parents will pay so I don’t need aid.

Everybody here has really impressive activities and awards for grade 9. Do I seem ok for grade 6? no one in my school is applying to private school so I don’t have real people to compare to. I really want to go to boarding school in grade 9 but I don’t think I’ll have a chance if I don’t go to private school now because my public school doesn’t have any advanced classes.

2 Likes

Just because you don’t go to a private school doesn’t mean you can’t get into a good boarding school. In fact, about 50% of people in many boarding schools came from public schools.

I’ll say what I say to most people applying for 9th grade.

You are still very young. It’s understandable that you don’t have awards or top honors in anything. Quite frankly, it wouldn’t mean much as kids change so quickly from 6-9th grade. You have as much of a chance as anyone out there if you work hard on your essays and get decent test scores. Be yourself, cast a wide net and find the school that is the best fit for you rather than trying to get into a school based on its status.

3 Likes

Thanks. It’s just my public school isn’t great and doesn’t have advanced classes so I feel like even if I get good grades in middle school it wouldn’t mean much because most people would have done more math and stuff by 8th grade than me.

FWIW My kids went to a private K-8 that was small, had no levels. Many students go on to competitive private high schools! (And most don’t have impressive awards, either.) If your school doesn’t have advanced levels, that isn’t your fault. Admissions should be looking to see if you have done well in what you have been offered and if you will be a good member of their community. At least that is my take!

Good luck!

4 Likes

If you do the best in your context, schools won’t ever hold you against it.

You are fine.
But I think you are too young to register on this forum ( and to worry so much).
Is there a minimum age requirement on CC forums?

1 Like

Kids at the school DS attended, George School, came from all different backgrounds. The academics were set up so that students who had come from weak districts could not only catch up but graduate at the same accelerated place as their classmates.

Do your best now and take advantage of the opportunities you have, but understand that schools will evaluate you in the context of your current school and you need not worry! And look at a lot of different schools. Some will be better able to provide you with what you want than others. The sorting hat that is admissions is designed so that students will thrive where they are admitted.

Btw, we looked at both Hun and George (both accessible if you are in NJ) during open houses in 7th, which you could do next year, just to start getting a feel for the landscape. This is a very low stakes way to learn about schools in general.

1 Like