My D has started an Alabama trend in our hometown

<p>My D was the only senior in our town who went to Alabama, and may have been the first one to go ever. However, 2 of her friends who are seniors just got accepted and both qualify for the Presidents scholarship. I think she’s started a trend!</p>

<p>We live in a small town (maybe 7000 students) with only 1 high school, where most students go to local colleges, and if they do go away, it’s usually to Knoxville. </p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Awesome! Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Great to hear that the next class values the opportunity UA offers. </p>

<p>Our DD will start there in the Fall of 2013, and she is talking to others about the school (she is one of the first to have her decision made). Her guidance counsellor is asking a lot of questions about UA since she found out DD qualifies for NMSF/Presidential plus Engineering and other scholarships. Maybe this GC will spread the word too.</p>

<p>The UA field rep for the Midwest needs to get up into Wisconsin more, not just focus on Illinois!</p>

<p>Glad to hear!!!</p>

<p>This sort of thing happens. There is a high school in south Orange County, Calif that now sends about 5 kids to Bama every year…probably because one kid started the trend.</p>

<p>My own high school in southern Calif (small all girls school) has at least 2 kids at Bama right now.</p>

<p>These are all band kids, too, where on a good year, there are 70 kids total, and that includes color guard. D plays mellophone, and I think there are 30 in the MDB.</p>

<p>Oooh one of my dad’s best students got a full ride there. He’s probably the only person in my school to ever go to UA</p>

<p>Meremom, I agree with you about the midwest rep…we’re in SE Wisconsin (south of Milwaukee) and we never saw him/her at all. The reason my son is now a freshman at Alabama is all the good things I heard about the school on CC. We have three major public hs in our town, and I believe my son and another girl are the only students attending. I have told ALOT of people about Alabama though so I wouldn’t be surprised if next year there are a few more UA students from our city.</p>

<p>May I ask where in Tennessee?</p>

<p>Good places and happy people are hard to keep quiet about. </p>

<p>before — no one can recall anyone
2009 - 1 (mom from Alabama)
2010 - 4 (DS)
2011 - 5
2012- 13 to 16 (haven’t gotten confirmed count, more applied)
2013 — On campus 1st senior free dress day (yep, uniform school) saw 4 UA shirts …
they love getting a “Roll Tide” -
UA getting to be the new (and best) “CRIMSON” college represented</p>

<p>You may have started the snowball effect. RTR</p>

<p>Milan, TN. It’s between Memphis and Nashville, close to Jackson. We’re about 4 hours from Tuscaloosa. </p>

<p>The guidance counselor had no clue about Alabama, and really only knew the requirements and scholarships of the local colleges that most kids go to. I found out myself by spending an enormous time on the internet researching lots of different places once her scores came back. </p>

<p>Alabama was actually the last place she visited, and at first she was very resistant, as Georgia Tech was her first choice. (got admitted, but they give few scholarships for merit). She loves it now, and even told me a couple of weeks ago that she was so glad she came, that she felt as if she “belonged” at Bama. Can’t tell you how glad that made me feel!</p>

<p>I know Milan! (I even know it’s pronounced My-lin LOL). We lived in Martin for 2 years when my S was a baby and drove through Milan all the time on the way to Jackson or the airport in Memphis. :)</p>

<p>We are trying to start a trend here too - S has three of his friends seriously considering Bama for next year. There is a current freshman there from our school so we are not quite at the beginning of the trend. I’m not sure how he found Bama though, since our GC’s are clueless also.</p>

<p>Wow- lisa6191. Small world! Funny thing about how to pronounce “Milan.” Recently, I upgraded my iPhone to the 4S, which has Siri. As I was trying it out, I asked what the weather forecast was for Milan. She kept giving me Nashville, not Milan. I decided to pronounce it as the Italian city is pronounced, and then I got the correct weather forecast!</p>

<p>Greetings from The Old Line State of Maryland, with the number one rated public schools in the country (yes, we moved ahead of Massachusetts). UA is starting to get traction here thanks to the diligent work of the local recruiting team and, frankly because of online and direct word of mouth. Roll Tide.</p>