My D is loving the SITE program

<p>I met Dr. Karr when Alabama hosted a recruiting reception in our hometown. He is very charismatic and an enjoyable speaker. I hope he speaks at our final “assembly” on Friday!</p>

<p>I have not heard much from DS, but what few texts I have received include lots of positive exclamation points and some Roll Tides!</p>

<p>Picked up my son from SITE today. He had a great time. Had the pleasure of meeting SpaceCoastMom and her lovely, talented daughter face-to-face, as well!
After lunch we met with Dr. Morgan with the STEM-MBA program and Mr. Neil Adams with the Honors College and also had a personalized campus tour with a hostess student from the Honors College.
As we left Mr. Adams office, we discovered his next appointment was with one of my son’s good friends from his high school! (Unplanned, and we are out-of-state, over 500 miles from home!) Coincidence or good omen? Ended the day with dinner at Mugshots with our friends from home.</p>

<p>I vote for good omen. So glad that your S had a great time. Is he a rising junior or senior?</p>

<p>@Cuttlefish - My son is a rising senior. He SAYS he will be back to stay next fall!</p>

<p>^^ I feel like I am experiencing deja vu reading all your positive SITE comments.</p>

<p>SITE clinched the deal for our DD - after that week, it was UA all the way.</p>

<p>Maryjay: Yeah! Your S is picking a great school. Is he interested in engineering? Which field? Did he get to tour the Mercedes plant? Make the glider? </p>

<p>MereMom: It is fun to see others benefit from your posts and shared experiences. Is your D in engineering? Which field? My D1 is a rising junior at Bama. I didn’t know about SITE back then. We just visited the campus 4 times!</p>

<p>Maryjay60, GREAT news! Really glad we met.</p>

<p>For those of you considering SITE, summer after sophomore year is not too early. D came away with some ideas for majors she had not considered, and loved the chance to stay in a dorm and meet other students considering UA and/or Engineering. She learned a lot from the counselors, who shared lots of practical advice.</p>

<p>Cuttlefish, DD is an rising freshman EE/Math double major. </p>

<p>SpaceCoast Mom - I couldn’t agree more. SITE is great for helping kids learn about the different disciplines, especially if they haven’t had exposure to them before. Seeing the labs and having actual professors teach the classes, plus working on a group project are all aspects of SITE that give kids an idea of what they will be experiencing as an engineering student at UA.</p>

<p>Bumping this for 2 reasons </p>

<ol>
<li><p>New parents and students – Not to late to apply for summer 2014. <a href=“Apply to the Program - Student Introduction to Engineering (SITE) - The University of Alabama College of Engineering - UA”>http://site.eng.ua.edu/apply/&lt;/a&gt; </p></li>
<li><p>Does anyone know if scholarships are offered for this program? I recall one of the summer high school programs did offer scholarships. </p></li>
</ol>

<p>Sounds wonderful! Wish we would have known about this a year ago!</p>

<p>D2 (Class 2015) is signed up for the first SITE week this summer. Her dad and I hope it will seal the deal for Bama. D1 is finishing her freshman year and loves it, but D2 says she doesn’t want to follow in her footsteps. I don’t think I saw anything about scholarships when she signed up. </p>