My daughter looking at Wofford, Furman, Sewanee, Elon & High Point

how would you rank these schools on an over all basis: wofford, furman, Sewanee, Elon, High Point

Elon
Sewanee
Wofford
Furman
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

High Point

11 Likes

My daughter looked at all of these as well. Depends on lots of things of course but I’d say:

Furman
Elon
Sewanee/Wofford
High Point

Wofford and Sewanee are lovely schools but Wofford seemed quite southern as a west coaster, truly lovely though, very nice people, pretty campus etc. Sewanee was just too remote and we found the admissions people not as lovely.

2 Likes

My D is at Elon and did not apply to the others. My sense is Elon and High Point have more kids from the northeast and Wofford and Furman are more southern. I met someone recently who spoke very enthusiastically about High Point. My D is at the Elon business school and has been happy with it. She is a fellow (which comes with a school-paid trip) and has two internships lined up.

Good luck with the college process.

2 Likes

Sewanee would be considered the most academically rigorous IMO and is somewhat of an outlier from the others. It’s not for everyone, though.

3 Likes

Not enough information, but I will give a quick reaction:

Furman & Elon & Sewanee-The University of the South are all on the same level, but very different campus cultures.

Wofford is very Southern.

I really have no meaningful knowledge about High Point University so I cannot offer a reasonable opinion.

2 Likes

Sewanee for traditional academics, future grad/prof/med school, alumni network, writing, traditions.
Elon for Northeastern reputation, experiential learning (something they pioneered 20 years ago, well before anyone got on the bandwagon), business/leadership.
Furman for a more Southern feel, more conservative, a sort of midpoint or happy medium between Elon and Sewanee for learning philosophy&experiences, similar in terms of dedicated professors and rigor.
Wofford
High Point

7 Likes

What is your daughter interested in studying? Business would be a very different answer than creative writing.

2 Likes

Humanities - Sewanee

Business - Furman and Elon

Overall - hard to rank and all will be unknown by the masses and yet Elon, Furman, Sewanee, and Wofford are all well thought of names by people in the know.

High Point has its fans but it’s definitely seen as a hand holding, wealthy, buy my diploma type of school. Not saying it is that but how it’s seen. It’s all about flash from the minute you go for your tour and have your own private parking place to five levels of housing - you can live better than at home. Their job placement is very good, at least stats wise.

In the end and high point is likely most different academically but of these, you should find the best fit and not chase a name.

Sewanee will be most isolated followed by Elon but Elon is just a 5-10 minute ride from society where Sewanee isn’t. Furman is a ride from downtown Greenville while I believe Wofford is closest of these to society.

Good luck.

3 Likes

As a parent of the "hand holding " school of High Point University, I couldn’t disagree more. First, not all students come from the “rich kid” world. I am a single parent, and scholarships have assisted in my daughter attending.

Second, my daughter is an Interior Designer major, and never once has she been “handed a grade.” As a former educator, the level of rigor and hands on education is too notch!

I would first look at what your student is interested in majoring in, also look at their personality - which school matches them…

Thank you very much.