My daughter... senior in high school

<p>is visiting LSU as a prospective student tomorrow. Her brother has failed in his attempts to sell her on the University of Alabama.</p>

<p>Her response to him, as a lifelong diehard LSU fanatic, as I recall: “I would rather have my eyeballs pecked out by a crow.”</p>

<p>Just thought I’d share. Geaux Tigers.</p>

<p>Would you want it any other way? Now you have 4 years to work on son # 2.</p>

<p>MODERATOR’S NOTE</p>

<p>Please don’t bicker. I removed two posts. This thread is perfectly acceptable on this forum.</p>

<p>This should make for interesting times at the Slippy household.</p>

<p>Slippy- That’s ok! Each child is different and in the end you, of course, wants what is best for her. As a parent I agree and it sounds like you are doing a great job with all of your kids. I am a University of Miami (Go Canes!) grad, and my oldest is a Florida State grad. Yes, while she was attending I wore their colors to a football game I attended during parents’ weekend. They are Miami’s rival, but that’s the way it goes… They were playing the Gators and I swear I would wear Satan’s colors to root against them.</p>

<p>So- when one’s child is getting an education, preparing for the future, and gaining wonderful college experiences, I say you need to yell, "Go Seminoles, go Canes, geux tigers…whatever. Your child’s needs are what is important and all of this other nonsense takes a back seat. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>I like house-divided threads. They’re often very funny echoes of our home. DS was born in Mississippi, raised in Alabama, and is 14 days, 14 hours, 49 minutes from starting the Next Big Chapter of an exciting and promising story.</p>

<p>Me? I was born in the North, but I got here as soon as I could.</p>

<p>Careful Slippy…actually letting her visit could spoil the whole thing for you. Sometimes keeping them in the dark until it is too late is the best option. :)</p>

<p>My brother, who like me and all of my siblings is a proud Alabama grad, thought I had lost my mind when I took my kids to visit LSU. Let’s just say that the experience of visiting LSU vs. visiting Alabama sealed the deal for both of my girls. LSU actually has a beautiful campus – cannot believe I typed that – but the difference in level of attention to maintenance was visible even to my then 9th and 11th graders – and the feeling that they got in the tour process was that they would be just another student number to the administrators there.</p>

<p>paying4collegex4,</p>

<p>Like so many state universities around the country, LSU has suffered from budgetary neglect for a long time. There is a lot of deferred maintenance and neglect of facilities dating back to the 90’s, but I am seeing that change one building at a time. LSU has a new master plan and is in the midst of a renovation boom. I hope they keep it up, and are able to raise faculty salaries as well. Overall, still a proud school with some very strong programs.</p>

<p>I visited quite a few schools with my son, and can tell you that Alabama is the exception rather than the rule. The school is flush with cash, which many are not. The campus is immaculate.</p>

<p>Glad to hear that LSU is in a renovation program. When we visited with son a few years ago it was apparent that a few areas had been ignored a bit longer than they should have.</p>

<p>Not blaming the school it is all a factor of budgets, but it could be seen even with an untrained eye like mine. </p>

<p>When we visited I was hoping it would move higher on the list. As a rather large man I was looking forward to the possibility of having a 4 year excuse to eat in Louisana !!</p>

<p>Slippy – agreed that this is totally a budgetary issue – I do hope that LSU can take care of the deferred maintenance and update its beautiful campus. We, too, have done lots of campus tours and the SEC has some of the most beautiful campuses in the country, though you are correct Alabama’s campus is better maintained than most. My voice major daughter will look at LSU again for grad school, but in the meantime I’m happy that she made the “right” choice for undergrad!</p>

<p>slippy, it’s okay. My kids still remind me that I’m a Longhorn fan every time I look to buy something houndstooth or crimson. We had the divided house a few years ago for the championship game. Down the the paper goods it was divided.</p>

<p>We’re an LSU family (campus IS beautiful -all those live oaks) and our daughter is touring Alabama. DH already dreading the Bama boyfriend coming home to visit :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I concur, slippy. It will be far better to bawl her eyeballs out, after the Tigers get defanged in yet another 'Bama beat down this November, than to have them pecked out by a crow. ;)</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>