My Dilemma & My Chances

<p>alright, let me paint this picture: Sheltered girl wants to break out of shell and go as far away as possible in florida. best bet? UF
problem 1: crazy hispanic parents have her on a leash
problem 2: because of this, they want to keep her @ hand's reach
problem 3: girl does not want to resort to mediocre education (FAU & FIU) and wants a promising career.</p>

<p>here are my stats & i would like to know my chances. also, if i do have a chance, when should i apply? Early Decision, Early Action, or Regular Action?</p>

<p>hispanic female attending magnet school in broward county.</p>

<p>GPA
Weighted: 4.76
Unweighted: 3.78
Class Rank: 4 of 293
SAT: 1240 ACT: 26
Intended College Major: Political Science/International Relations</p>

<p>HIGH SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
o Yearbook Staff (12th)
o BRASA member (11th, 12th)
o History/Geography Brain Bowl Captain (11th, 12th)
o American Math Competition (10th, 11th, 12th)
o Mu Alpha Theta (9th)
o Varsity Tennis Team (9th)</p>

<p>AWARDS
o UF Hispanic-Latino High School Scholars Award (11th)
o AP Scholar with Honors (11th)
o Straight “A” Honor Roll (11th)
o FCAT 10th Grade Writing Certificate of Achievement (10th)
o 1st Place Fashion Design Show (10th)</p>

<p>VOLUNTEER HOURS
o 92 hours at local elementary school</p>

<p>AP EXAMS
European History - 3
American History - 4
English Language - 4
Spanish Language - 5
American Gov't - Taking Senior Year
English Literature - Taking Senior Year</p>

<p>what are my chances??? Thanks!</p>

<p>I wold actually be willing to bet that u wont have to resort to Mediocre Education with ur stats.</p>

<p>Now if u want to stay in Florida which is fine, then I suggest three options:</p>

<p>UF, FSU, UM</p>

<p>UF: great school. its ranked #47 in the US. ony 2 negatives:
- Gainesiville isnt the most exciting town.
- Its got 40,000 students. In other words, think Huge Classes. To some ppl it could be a plus, but to me, even when I wanted the big school feel, I knew that element was a negative for me. </p>

<p>FSU: Gorgeous campus. its actually imo way prettier than UF and way prettier than UM. I love it but there is one big problem. The prestige of the school is dying to a point where it has gone down 50 spots in the rankings over the last 3 years. its now ranked #110. FSU is on the way to becoming a third tier school along with UCF unless it loses its Party School Rep.</p>

<p>UM: I will be attending here this fall so Ill speak more in detail. </p>

<p>UM is UF in private withouth the 40,000 student body. its ranked #54 in the U.S so the difference is minimal between the two.
Ideally it will be like going to UF just paying a lot more. only difference is ur classes will be smaller (like 15-50) students in a class. at UF ur looking at classes that some will be in the hundreds. </p>

<p>Chances at all 3:</p>

<p>FSU: Big Safety
UM: Match/Safety
UF: Match/Safety</p>

<p>U should get into all. The chances I gave u are not for getting admitted.
Rather they are the chances of u getting in with scholarships.</p>

<p>IN your case ur in an excellent position to get full tuition scholarships at UF and FSU, even UM which is private.</p>

<p>what kind of full tuition scholarships are we talking about? i already have the 75% bright futures. and my SAT score isnt all that hot (1240) ive taken it twice & im sick of it.</p>

<p>yea u shoudlnt have to take it again. Its annoying to begin with and uve already scored well.</p>

<p>DOes the Bright Futures count towards UM (a private school) or just public schools (UF). regardless, even if u dont get Bright Futures towards UM, UM will still give u a sweet deal. mayby 50%-75% tuition scholarship. and if u write an amazing essay and send lots of letters of reference, mayby even a FUll tuition scholarship.</p>

<p>ur SATs are low for UM's 75-100% scholarships but still reachable and u will prolly get a very sweet deal.</p>

<p>Sweet. I live in Broward too! Anyway, I think FSU is definitely a safety for you. You have the grades to get into UF and UM, but I am concerned about BOTH your SAT and ACT scores. Both of them are below average for the colleges. If it is possible, please take at least one test again for a higher score. I used the Gruber SAT study book and it brought my score up from a 1130 to a 1370. Awesome. It would also be very disappointing to not get 100% bright futures just because your SAT scores are short 30 points. BTW, you can spend the money at a private school, but it only covers the amount you would pay at "a comparable public school." I have to say that EVERYTHING on your resume is very impressive but the test scores are very disappointing among those stats. If you bring the scores up, you shouldn't have a problem having a very good chance at getting accepted to either UM or UF.</p>

<p>Now this is just me talking, but I am sure you can pass your own judgment on this. I am not sure what you may consider an award, but I'm not sure if an FCAT award, a fashion show, and honor roll recognition qualify as awards when applying to college. At least my school doesn't recognize them that way.</p>

<p>I have the same problem as you with my parents. Even with my SAT score and school grades, they want me to go to Nova of all places! NO! I am looking at UM and UF too. I am not sure what you prefer as far as school size, but if you want a very small school in Florida that is also very selective, there is New College in Sarasota. (It also made the Colleges that Change Lives list)</p>

<p>I do have to disagree though with acarta07. UF and UM are by no means match/safety schools for you with your SAT and ACT scores. Of course, you still have a chance, but it will hurt you. Just to put this in perspective, UM got over 20,000 applications last year and is only able to accept 2,000. If you are able to, increase your chances to your favorite college by applying with Early Decision, or Early Action if you aren't ready to make a commitment.</p>

<p>Yea Nova Sucks!! Only worthwhile schools attending in FLorida are UF, UM, FSU (not for long if they keep up the party school image) and mayby UCF as its constantly going on an upward trend. I frankly see UCF replacing FSU in the future.</p>

<p>Well ok heres the thing with that statistic.
When I got my acceptance letter from UM, it said we recieved 22,000 applications for a class of 2,000. That does not mean they rejected 20,000 ppl and accepted only 2000.
Every Freshman class that has entered UM every year is around 2,000 ppl.
they admit around 6,000 ppl knowing that only about 50% of the ppl they accept will attend. still its not easy. thats around a 30% acceptance rate.
Id say she has a pretty good chance. mayby I exagerrated little but still, im not too off. she should get in, and mayby even get in with scholarships. I would not be surprised if that happens.</p>

<p>Ah, sorry about that. I think she has a great chance too. I think that her test scores are her only serious weak point.</p>

<p>oh man you guys have no idea how much i hate the SAT. the first time i got a 1240, and the second time, an 1170. and then i just gave up because frankly, im not good at these standardized tests. i'm good @ knowing stuff, and doing good in classes and getting the highest grades. (I did wonderfully on my AP exams this year).
i WANT to improve my score, but i have no idea how to study for it or anything and i wouldnt want to take the ACT again, that was torture.
and what is this whole thing about Bright Futures and only matching up to a comparable school? Don't i get 75% of my UM tuition free? that would be about 24,000/year.
or am i wrong?</p>

<p>No, Bright Futures covers comparable cost at a FL private school. At UM, 100% Bright Futures translates to about $7000. UM is pretty good about giving merit-based scholarships, but your test scores need some work to qualify for those.</p>

<p>Still UM is pretty good at giving Need based money as well. I didnt really have a need at all. EFC of $35,000 and got $12,000</p>

<p>Yeah. Bright Futures only gives you the percentage of the amount you would pay at a "comparable" public school. I looked at the scholarship requirements and they are pretty generous as far as the prerequisites go for each one.</p>

<p>what is EFC?</p>

<p>Estimated Family Contriution. Basically what ur expected to pay for college based on what ur parents make annualy and saving etc...</p>

<p>The 100% bright futures payout is $4,090 this year to a Florida private school.</p>

<p>I don't know what your SAT math score was, but that is one portion of the SAT that can be improved by using study guides.</p>

<p>Yes, but you can also apply for the FL Resident Access Grant, and that gives you an extra $3000. Basically all you have to do is confirm your residency and send the paperwork to UM. So, that gives you about $7000 in Bright Futures money.</p>

<p>From the parent of two current (female) FSU students (and as an FSU alumnus) I would not suggest to you you'll get an academic scholarship at FSU or UF with a 1240 SAT. You'll likely get admitted, but no Honors status at either, unfortunately. You'd get 75% BF with that score. You'd get a 100% BF award with a 1270 SAT.</p>

<p>About partying at FSU - it's the same as ANY major university. Some kids do it and flunk out, most don't party to any significant degree. My older daughter's roommate got arrested for underage drinking at FSU. They are very strict there and will arrest anyone drinking and underage. I'm sure this goes for UF, too.</p>

<p>u probably will get in with at least the the lowest scholarship they offer, but probably more than that. your high GPA might kinda replace the mediocre SAT score. no, 1240 is not a bad score, but a 1280 might make you feel safein gettin a scholarship cause thats the min that UM says in their viewbook. but again with everything else, i predict you might get in with a 50% scholarship.
Good Luck</p>

<p>Yea I predict the same. I feel u should get in and have a solid chance of getting scholarships at UM and UF.
at FSU I think u will definately get in as you are way above the range of their stats. You should def expect no less than a 50% scholarship at FSU. </p>

<p>at UM and UF you should still get some type of deal.
You dont meet the SAT requirements for the schoalrships at UM but again, come very close to them. your gpa and class rank does meet the requirements and here is where ur essay and reccommendations come in. if they make u stand out in a really good way, UM and UF will bend their standards a little for your SAT score and give u a sweet deal, which you deserve.</p>