My Dilemma

<p>I've narrowed down my school choices for next year, so that I am choosing between UMiami and UDelaware. I am from right outside of Boston, MA, and the concept of living in nice weather all year greatly appeals to me. Additionally, Miami is a completely different place than Boston, it has a business program that is deemed slightly better than delaware, and it is a more well-known/renowned school.</p>

<p>But, there are a few MAJOR things that are deterring me from going to Miami.</p>

<p>-It is a whopping $20,000 more than Delaware annually.
-According to my tour guide, only 40% of students live on Miami's campus (and that includes all freshmen.) / The school might be a suitcase school and it has the "grandparent factor".
-It seems to me that the majority of partying / social activity occurs off-campus- and I want there to be significant on-campus activity.</p>

<p>I really like Delaware. The campus is gorgeous, the kids seem happy, and there is a great social scene. I worry that the school might be too big, does not have ideal weather (although it is a slight improvement from the weather in boston), and it certainly does not possess the allure that Miami does.</p>

<p>Anyways, if whoever is reading this would be willing to give me some constructive input into my situation or address a claim that I have made regarding either school, I would greatly appreciate it.</p>

<p>come on people</p>

<p>Understand, the "University Village" is technically Off-Campus, but right next door...lots of upperclassman there</p>

<p>The Grove is only a short drive away...if you want frat parties, there are some, but again, what are you really going to college for</p>

<p>You will want to go home...Miami to Boston flight easier than driving up to PHilly and flying out there</p>

<p>Miami is not at all a suitcase school. 40% of 15K students live directly on campus excluding University Village and surrounding Frat houses, nearby apartments and the like. I commute and it is something of a struggle to find a unified commuter culture, actually. The assumption at UM: you live on campus or else within 10 minutes of it (I don't). </p>

<p>A 20K difference is substantial, but of course that is relative. One popular discussion topic at UM: will my future career pay well enough to afford a decent lifestyle and monthly student loan payments? That said, many students afford to come here with one swipe of a card, so, again, it is relative. Do your math! Miami is a wonderful place. For me it is worth it, but that is given my financial sitution. </p>

<p>Further, plenty of partying occurs on campus or in the frat houses in surround. And there are plenty of non-party options to enjoy such as weekly film screenings, the art museum, plentiful club meetings, the pool, lunch at the Rat, plays at the Ring, tanning on the green, Starbucks chatting sessions, weekly live music performances, and the occasional dog show. There is always plenty of hustle and bustle at the Breezeway, too. Always something new and interactive to participate in. Off campus, there is more to do than just party. Go to Fairchild Tropical Gardens, Miracle Mile, Merrick Park, the beach, downtown, Sunset, etc.... Of course the Grove and South Beach are great, too. </p>

<p>Good luck with your decision!</p>