My GPA is way lower than I want it to be and I can't raise it

My absolute dream school is UCSD, but I don’t think I’m going to get in. My GPA is probably going to be 3.7 ish, and my SAT score is 2110. I’m not absolutely brilliant, but I do have ECs that I’ve been doing since I was little, even though I don’t have any real accomplishments. If I write an average personal statement, is it possible for me to get in? Next on my list of colleges is UC Irvine, Would I get in to that? Can I get into any of the UCs with that GPA?

Is that your UC GPA? Are you instate?

You would have to calculate your UC GPA (https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/), since most UCs have a minimum GPA requirement.

Intended major? Although UCSD admits you into the university first, your intended major can make a difference in that you could get in but not to your preferred major. As stated above, what is your UC GPA and HS course rigor? Legitimate reasons for your lower than average GPA?

I’m not familiar with what GPA is needed for UCSD and therefore will offer no opinion as to your chances to get into that school. But I will say that if your GPA is below average for UCSD, then it is time to search for new dream schools that are better matches your academic stats.

Look for other schools that share characteristics with ucsd but are easier to get into : south California? => sdsu, csu San Marcos, even cpp, plus the privates.
Beach nearby? => eckerd, utampa, fiu, fau, ncf, usf, unc Wilmington.
Etc :slight_smile:
Applying to a non impacted major womill likely help, too.

Average UC GPA for UCSD is 4.13 from 2015. 2016 posted stats will available in August.
If you are in-state, you can lookup average GPA for admitted applicants by HS:

http://universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/admissions-source-school

Take a look at UCR, UCSC, UCM and SDSU

I think you have a chance . Your SAT score is better than most . It’s an average do some people have higher than a 4.13 some have lower . Don’t let these cc people mess up your confidence. They told me I couldn’t get into many schools and I did . Just try to write a more than average personal statement.

Yes its my UC GPA and yes i am instate.

The GPA above is my UC GPA since my school calculates it the same way UC does. And for legitimate reasons… idk I had issues that year but nobody knows about it so I can’t talk about it in my essay

There is no reason not to apply to UCSD, just make sure you have some solid Match and safety schools on your list. If you do not want to address the “issues” in your essay, then you need to focus on other areas such as your EC’s.

I would apply to several UC’s and a few Cal states to make sure I have a wide range of options. Intended major can make the difference so be aware the more competitive the major, the higher the GPA/Test scores need to be…

Good Luck.