My grades suck: Do I have a chance

<p>GPA: 3.0 Unweighted. School only offers one set of classes. No Ap’s or honors
Freshman year messed me up!!! But did great sophmore and junior year.
SAT’s: Math: 680 Reading: 650 Writing: 620
Will take SAT 2’s in physics and math 1C
Will take ACT
My school doesn't rank
Race and Gender: African American (my dad is Nigerian) and Male
Im from Boston,MA</p>

<p>Main EC’s (I have more but not important):</p>

<p>Theater Work Fall of 2005- Spring 2007
-was featured in The raisin in the sun and took part of the Shakespeare competition. Also was an actor in our own school plays such as Injustices in our world and I dwell in possibility.</p>

<p>BU U-design Summer of 2005
-Made robots using the Lego mindstorm kit.
-We programmed our robots to do challenges such as sumo wrestling and a maze.</p>

<p>President and Co-Chair Fall 0f 2006-Spring of 2008
- Being President of class, I made sure that the Class of 2009 and the faculty kept a good relationship.
- I made sure that our class was being heard and we had somewhat of a say how the school ran.
-I helped with fundraising as well.</p>

<p>MIT SEED Academy Fall of 2005- Spring 2008
- A Saturday Engineering Enrichment Discovery ( that’s what SEED stands for by the way), we would learn engineering disciplines such as aerospace and civil engineering every Saturday and make a final presentation at the end of the semester. </p>

<p>CITYterm Spring of 2008
- Founded by David Dunbar (editor of Empire City), it is a semester boarding school in Dobbs Ferry that engages it students in the history, literature and culture of New York City.
- Projects that we have done so far is make homes for an issue that should be addressed (my group did health) and make a presentation of the Brooklyn bridge, but had to have somewhat of an abstract component ( I made a physical representation of the bridge, but I had famous Brooklynites on it such as Woody Allen and Jay Z).
-For more info, please go to cityterm.com</p>

<p>BU Professor Fall of 2008-
-Every time I get a chance, I discuss and engage in an engineering topic. We previously have done circuits and now we just finished our fuel and solar cell car.</p>

<p>Founder of Alegbra project
-High performing math students help freshman with math.</p>

<p>Cross Country 2 years</p>

<p>Applying to:</p>

<p>BU
WPI
Union
Howard
Flordia A&M
UMASS amherest (spelling error....probaly)
Rowan
U pitt
Va tech
Case western
Drexel
Northeastern</p>

<p>And remember to be NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>boston_man, You seem to be a very involved young man, which is a great accomplishment. As you noted, your GPA is on the low side (this year's incoming class had an avg of 3.8), but your SATs are very much in line with what Tech wants. The fact that your school doesn't offer much in the lines of Honors or AP? I don't know how they could hold not having taken a rigorous curriculum against you if your school doesn't offer it, but they may.<br>
Being an URM and being from the Northeast may help. </p>

<p>I assume you are applying to the school of engineering. That is what may hurt you, because those kids are held to a higher GPA, higher score standard. We were told that the admissions office really looks at the "numbers" of their prospective students: GPA, rigor of curriculum, class rank, SATs. With over 20K applicants they have to. They can't read the EC's list of all that apply. So, that being said good luck. You'll never know unless you apply. I wish you well.</p>