My parents are now empty nesters

<p>Kinda different post. I moved into my dorm yesterday. I am the youngest. My parents were really happy for me but very sad to let me go. Anything I should do to help them transition? Should I call everyday, leave them alone, or something else? I have been so involved with my own transition that I completely did not think about how their life just changed. Any ideas?</p>

<p>You are a great kid! Text your folks just to let them know you’re thinking of them and are OK. If you don’t want a long, involved call, call when you’re pretty sure they aren’t home but leave a voice mail so they can listen later.</p>

<p>I left my dd yesterday and would love it if she did that for me! Most of all let them know that, even though you’re not at home, they are still a part of things.</p>

<p>Same with us and our D! :smiley: </p>

<p>And you ARE a great kid for worrying about your parents - but don’t spend too much time worrying. You have to focus on YOU.</p>

<p>Your relationship with your parents, hopefully, is still similar to what it was before. </p>

<p>If you were really close and had updates every day, and laughed and talked about things daily, I would encourage you to text every day or every other day with just a simple update:</p>

<p>“Hi Mom! Classes went well today. I’m doing well. Love you.”</p>

<p>The rest of the time just do whatever feels right and good to you.</p>

<p>And if they contact you, just be sure you respond. That’s all. They’re big people, they’ll sort it out. Just keep loving them like you do! And enjoy these years - you’re going to have a blast! :)</p>

<p>What an AWESOME child!!! They will be fine! They will be especially excited to welcome you home for the holidays…which will arrive so quickly! Cromette is sooo right! They would not have it any other way! They raised you to fly away and become an independent young person…they must be so proud of you!</p>

<p>You are great!</p>

<p>They must be AWESOME parents to have a child so considerate! I would add that it’s great when our kids let us know that they appreciate our support and confidence. If you express that once in awhile, then they know that their efforts are so well spent.
Have a wonderful year at a wonderful university!</p>

<p>The #1 thing is to not feel guilty! My DD (my last at home) is in her second year at TAMU and she felt very guilty for leaving us (we are OOS). I will say what your parents probably feel. </p>

<p>We have prepared since you were a baby for this day to come. Granted, it wasn’t easy to have you leave, but we wanted you to go away to college and get that invaluable experience that only going away and living on your own can give you. You will be back soon enough for some weekends, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and summers. It’s a transition for all of us but it’s a good transition and one that needs to happen. Enjoy yourself and we will too! Love Mom and Dad</p>