My summer plans changed, what should I do now?

I’m a rising high school junior who was going to intern at my county executive’s office but my parents didn’t want me to b/c they think it’s too much of a commitment (9-5 for two months), especially since I’m not being paid and I disagreed at first but now I think they’re right. Then, I was going to do a creative writing workshop but it’s in-person and I’m going to be in Kathmandu, where my extended family is, for the entire summer so I can’t do that, either. My family there has some connections that might be able to get me an internship but I’m feeling iffy about doing that b/c I feel like I wouldn’t really be earning something that was just handed to me so now I’m a little stuck.

Anyway, I’d be interested in doing something writing and/or literature-related b/c that’s what I want to study in college but I’m a little lost as to what. A lot of programs that were online last year are now in-person, which doesn’t work for me, and any internship I’ve found online that I would do in-person in Kathmandu has a commitment of 3 months and I’m only there for 2.

Anybody have any thoughts as to what I could do?

Teenager jobs are great for teenagers! Ex., ice cream shop, restaurant, park district.

3 Likes

Lean into it! You are a creative writer- famously an activity that is not location dependent yet benefits from exploring new (real or not) locations!

You are in a country that for a big part of your family is ‘home’. What are similar-age relatives doing with their summer? If they are working, work. If they are playing, b/c summer work for their peer group is not a thing, be creative (!) and make yourself a writing project.

Put some serious thought into what your goal for the summer could be, based on the sort of creative writing you like to do. Historical fiction / poetry / sci-fi / short stories & more all lend themselves to your situation beautifully. If you don’t know which sort appeals to you, set yourself the task of doing something similar across several genres!

My kids worked every summer starting freshman year of high school. My daughters started as cashiers and hostesses, and moved into waitressing, one bartending, making it easy to get a job anywhere.

1 Like