My UC GPA check OOS

Hi everyone. I checked my UC GPA on http://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/ and it came out as 3.5 but I’m not so sure if it is exactly 3.5 since I’m not familiar with the UC system. I know that they only consider IB/AP courses as Honors for OOS. And if possible what school(s) in UC might accept me with an SAT score around 2000-2200. I know my GPA is not that good.

10th Grade

1 PE---- A-A
2 Art ---- A-A
3 HNR Spanish II ---- A-B
4 HNR Lit — B-B
5 HNR Chem — C-B
6 HNR Adv Algebra— B-C
7 HNR Bio — A-A
8 AP Word His — A-A

11th Grade

1 IB Psychology— A-B
2 IB Literature A HL---- B-C
3 IB Physics SL ---- B-B
4 HNRS Spanish III ---- C-B
5 HNRS Pre-Calc ---- C-B
6 HNRS Chinese I ---- B-A
7 IB Euro History ---- A-B

I got a 3.46 since PE is not counted in the calculation. For OOS applicants, you need a minimum UC GPA of 3.4, so you are just above that minimum. Based on predicted SAT score and UC GPA, target schools would be UC Riverside, Merced and Santa Cruz. UC’s are very GPA focused, so your GPA will hurt your chances at the Mid and Upper Tier UC’s. Essays and EC’s are also considered in your application, so you should focus on these areas which could give you a boost. Good Luck.

Here is some information about GPA/Test scores and acceptance rates:

http://www.ucop.edu/news/factsheets/2014/fall-2014-admissions-table2.pdf

Just more item to add to my post, can you afford the cost of a UC as an OOS student? $55K/year with little to no financial aid. I would look to your in-state schools first, where your chances would be much better.

One of the big reasons that I’m applying to the UC is because they don’t look at freshman year GPA, (Which was trash) thus it makes me more competitive than schools in PA. Another thing is I’m going for the full IB diploma. With a 3.46GPA, very strong 1st Semester senior grade, ~2000 SAT score or 27-29 on ACT, URM, good essay and decent EC. How will my chance be at say UCI or some good Computer Science/engineering schools in UC? I know my GPA is my biggest weakness but I’m willing to maintain a very high GPA all senior year, while taking the IB diploma.

Your scores and GPA, as an OOS student, have to be higher than the average admit and most of your senior grades won’t really be considered as part of your admission.

I agree with @Gumbymom that you might get into Riverside, Merced and possibly Santa Cruz, but that GPA is too weak when compared to instate applicants.

Can your parents afford $55k per year? It’s going up to $58k.

There is no financial aid/scholarship for OOS and you won’t get in state residency after 2 years because you’re coming to California for educational purposes.

You should consider your instate options.

UCI is pretty unlikely with your GPA, especially as an OOS applicants. Your best shot at UCs is indeed UCR and UCM but, at $55k, you’ve got to questions the value they offer. So Cal Privates like USD and LMU will provide an equal education in a more personal environment for a similar cost. Your state probably has even more cost effective options.

Good luck

<<<<
Class of 2016
GPA 2.95UW (Had a horribleFreshman year but have been on an upward trend)
SAT- 2000-2200 (Predicted)
Class Rank- Top 20%
IB Diploma Candidate
PA Resident
Low Income and an Immigrant.
<<<<

Your biggest problem is that you’re OOS and low income.

NO UC would be affordable. At a minimum, you’d have to pay per year:

$23,000 plus $5500 loan plus maybe some Perkins loan, plus work-study.

If you’re low income, then your family won’t likely pay $100k for you to go to a UC? right?

I don’t know how you’re predicting a 2000 - 2200 SAT even with studying. Your SAT last January was quite low.