My unsolicited post-mortem on the recent internet scare

<p>I received no less than 15 emails from UA over the course of a week “updating” me on the purported security scare. This panic, as you know, was precipitated by a couple of youtube posts, which led to other attention seekers jumping in on the action, until it got to the point of mass hysteria. </p>

<p>More like mass stupidity. When I receive an apparently serious email telling me that the JOKER is not, in fact, walking the halls of Tutwiler, I know we have reached a new milestone of absurdity in the digital age. The university bought into this hype hook, line and sinker, and only served to heighten the tension (which, of course, was manufactured) by sending out multiple emails to parents and students. </p>

<p>Guys, if something really bad actually happens, we will know it. Unless somebody sees actual flashing lights from police cars, it’s probably a hoax. </p>

<p>The school administration took the action to send out the email and twitter announcements because they were criticized by some parents and the Crimson White editorial staff for not giving out enough information during the initial response to the incidents at Tutweiler. I saw similar mass hysteria from some parents on the FB pages that were further feeding the panic.</p>

<p>“Unsolicited” = I love it!
But seriously, there are no winners in a situation like this - failing to act and acting too much can both be criticized with the benefit of hindsight. Fortunately, we can criticize UA’s acting too much in this case.</p>

<p>The school had no choice but to provide day by day (seemed like hour by hour) updates because some parents were behaving like (being prickly here) hysterical ninnies. One mom immediately flew her child home. (what??? why not just put her up at a local hotel for a couple of nights if you are THAT worried???) Some parents were causing their kids to be scared.</p>

<p>One thing that my mom taught us is that kids often mirror adult reactions. If we over-react, then the children will sometimes over-react (thankfully, some kids told their parents to “knock it off” and “stay off social media!” (good for them! lol). Seriously, I thought that some parents’ over-reactions were (in their minds) a way for them to “prove” that they really loved their kids. (see how much I love my kid? I just flew her home across the country to protect her from the big bad threat.)</p>

<p>At virtually ANY SCHOOL, there will be some crazy things happen during the 4 years attending. During my kids’ four years, there was a horrible tornado. Unless you keep your kids in a bubble, they are going to face some risky situations all throughout their lives.</p>

<p>Slippy, this was one of those situations where you’re damned if you do, and damned if you don’t. I was perfectly content with the way the University was handling communication at the beginning, and my assumption was that I did not have a need to know everything that UA and law enforcement knew (and it might be harmful for the general public to have all that information). However, there were a number of parents who were not satisfied with the information they and their children were receiving, and they made their displeasure known directly to the University as well as all over social media. The CW also complained about the lack of information from the University. The activity in your e-mail box was a direct result of that. Bottom line - you can’t please everybody.</p>

<p>^I agree, beth’s mom.</p>

<p>I am one of the parents who was not happy with the response of the UAPD and I made my thoughts known in a calm, polite, but serious tone. I don’t believe I overreacted in doing so either. My kids continued to attend all classes and activities throughout the ordeal, but I did advise them to use extra caution. My complaint was simply that an alert should have been sent to students and staff advising that a threat had been made and was being investigated. The alert could have simply advised students to proceed with caution, avoid the area, and to expect email updates or another alert depending on how the investigation went. Personally, I believe this would have helped to keep rumors in check while not causing panic. While I understand the need to protect the integrity of an investigation, I don’t think alerting students would have been compromising. I do believe students (and parents) should be made aware of such a threat by someone in authority, in this case, the UAPD. I tried contacting the UAPD myself and felt the response to my call was dismissive. I trust that student safety is a priority at the UA, but I also think students, staff, and parents have a right to make decisions regarding their own safety and I believe that receiving timely and accurate information is a part of that equation.</p>

<p>We actually experienced a situation that began in a similar way with a threat on social media in May several years ago at one of our public high schools. Although the administration was made aware, it was pretty much dismissed until the beginning of the next school year. Parents and students were not made aware of a threat, but some apparently knew from social media. As it turned out, someone mentioned it again at the beginning of the next school year and it wasn’t a prank after all. The student did in fact bring several weapons to school and seemed to have thought out a plan. The outcome could have been devastating, but a potential crisis was averted at the last minute in the case of our local high school. That incident made me cautious, but not hysterical, in reacting to the threat at the UA.</p>

<p>I don’t believe the reaction to either of the UA threat or the threat at our local school needed to be hysterical or dismissive. I believe there is a balance which is to provide timely and accurate information and to proceed with caution. That’s all I expected and I was satisfied with the response by the UA in the end.</p>

<p>I guess I should have clarified that I took my complaints directly to UAPD and the UA. We don’t use FB, twitter, yikyak (spelling?), or the like, and it wouldn’t have made me feel better to post my complaint there. I honestly think there is something to be learned from this. When something like this happens, and it happens everywhere, people will look for information wherever they can find it. Initially, the information seemed to be a flurry of rumors, speculation, and down right nonsense via social media. Unfortunately, that’s the only information my kids (and I) were getting (secondhand) in the beginning which prompted me to call UAPD in the first place. That’s why I felt the initial response should have been an alert followed by emails or alerts if warranted. My kids went to classes, but with a little more caution than before. </p>