Name on I-20

<p>Hi everyone, as an international student with a chinese name, I was wondering if the name on your i-20 must be an exact match with your passport? The problem is, my country (actually any country in asia) uses a different format from the US system. </p>

<p>Our passport lists names as such, last name, chinese name, first name
However, american passports use first name, last name</p>

<p>This undoubtedly brings about problems as i am now known to the university by half of my chinese name (my first name is not included because on my passport, it is listed at the back). All university records now bear a name i am totally unfamiliar with. To make it clear, let's use Jackie Chan (the hollywood star) as an example. He is Jackie Chan Kong San. However, to UWisconsin Madison, he is Kong Chan. Every time the university announces his name, does he have to keep checking to make sure it's him/not him? (catch my drift?)</p>

<p>Is there a possibility of having the university change the name listed in the database to my proper first and last name? I don't mind if my i-20 name is different, as long as I am known to the university by the correct name. (my roommate was wondering about the very weird name i had, god knows what other problems might crop up in the next 4 years). Thanks for the help everyone!</p>

<p>For the most accurate answer email UW and ask them.</p>

<p>the thing is, i have. after going back and forth and sending me 3 i-20’s which are all incorrect, they insist that it has to match my passport due to “technical details”. thing is, i already have 3 friends whose names on their i-20 do not match their passports. double standards? just wanted to seek your opinion or experience with this.</p>

<p>No experience, but when dealing with such items I would trust them more than we posters. Matching your passport sounds logical- that is the document you use for this country. You want to be least confusing when dealing with the government- have all government forms have the same name.</p>