National Achievement finalists

<p>Wow I’m so not expecting to move up. I had a 214 PSAT and 2220 SAT but I’m pretty sure my 3.0 gpa will be the death of me.</p>

<p>Dnerd, by poor grades I mean mostly B’s with a couple C’s in the most rigorous coursework track offered at my school. My combined GPA for freshman and sophomore year was something like a 2.8 and junior year I had a 4.0 in all APs/honors. It all averaged out to around 3.3 as my cumulative. </p>

<p>Good luck to everyone waiting to hear, hope you all have better luck than I did</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-act-tests-test-preparation/696125-psat-scores-national-merit-semifinalists-2009-h-s-class-2010-a.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-act-tests-test-preparation/696125-psat-scores-national-merit-semifinalists-2009-h-s-class-2010-a.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Here is the current talk about National MERIT (last few pages). Also sending out the letters to those that are not advancing. 3.3-3.4 seems to be a common thread there. Sounds pretty legit. Happened last year at this time too (you can see on old CC posts). That said, if you haven’t gotten it yet…looks decent because the talk has slowed (like perhaps the letters were all sent 7th-9th ish?) Hope hope hope. Fingers crossed. I know National merit (the acknowledgement that one has made finalist) is supposed to be mailed to schools on 2/2 and homes on 2/9. Dunno about National Achievement dates. Luck to all.</p>

<p>^ thanks for that</p>

<p>Nat’l finalist certificates are mailed out on the 22nd, but I don’t know when they mailed all of the “sorry” letters. I keep checking the mail everyday for one now… >_></p>

<p>sorry Ansley :(… we are still waiting to hear as are the others. We live in DC. Hopefully this weekend…</p>

<p>^ Looks like you might have to wait longer than that. They send the certificates out to the schools tomorrow, and unless they’ve changed this year and they allow you to check your status via telephone, we probably won’t find out until Monday at the earliest =/</p>

<p>Well the packet S received last Fall actually said LATE FEB 2010 … lol … so hopefully what is being said here will pan out… all the waiting is insane…</p>

<p>^ Dnerd, you are correct the certificates are sent to the schools tomorrow. Here is further info.</p>

<p>They will notify students at their home address on 01/29/10… Good Luck to all!!</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.nationalmerit.org/Ach_R&I_Leaflet.pdf[/url]”>http://www.nationalmerit.org/Ach_R&I_Leaflet.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>washdcmom: I remember Late February being the date when they notify the Finalists if they had gotten the $2500 prize or not.</p>

<p>I have a 192 PSAT and a 2170 SAT, but my grades are pretty uneven, even if I do have a three-point-something GPA. I hope the letter comes soon!</p>

<p>Good luck to all!</p>

<p>Yes chirichimes, you’re right…it is the green sheet that came with the fat packet…says scholarship amounts announced or something of that ilk late FEB 2010… S only took the SAT once…but is taking it again Saturday… He was 2120 and 198 PSAT GPA 3.7 but i think 3.6 this year…right now…lol…</p>

<p>Is it possible to find out Finalist status via telephone, or does one have to wait until the school receives a certificate (or not)?</p>

<p>And does 2270 SAT, 211 PSAT, and 4.0 GPA mean that the only way I’d get rejected was by BOMBING the essay completely? Because I’m starting to worry that I did…</p>

<p>I called and attempted to get information and was told I would need to wait until the school notified me or I was notified at home a week later. </p>

<p>Not sure if that is just because I didn’t get it and they didn’t want to give me the bad news or what, but that was my experience.</p>

<p>Did anyone hear anything from their school yet? I didn’t have school today, but I’ll probably ask my guidance counselor about it tomorrow.</p>

<p>^ Yep, notification has been made at school!. Congrats to all Finalists!!!</p>

<p>I just got my certificate :D</p>

<p>Congrats Dnerd!!!. Now all finalists must wait another month or so before notification is sent out advising if you have become a scholar for $$ …</p>

<p>Again, GL and Congrats!!</p>

<p>Thanks! I won’t even worry about the $2,500 since the scholarship I’m getting for simply being a finalist is more than enough.</p>

<p>I’m so glad the wait is over!</p>

<p>My school has made no announcements. They like to have surprises and little ceremonies when things happen. They’ll give you a note to come at some certain time, and your parents will be there and there will be cookies and lemonade. I think there are only two more chances left for these little parties. I’ll miss them.</p>

<p>It would be amazing if they decided to do it 2nd or 3rd bell tomorrow, since I’m in physics then. Half of that class is NMSF and we’re taking a test those two bells, so I guess we’d have to have the test some other time.</p>

<p>Does anyone know when the “you’re-not-a-finalist” letters get sent out?
And do semifinalists get anything by way of recognition? Maybe even an index card?</p>

<p>I think all the “not a finalist” letters were sent out about 2 weeks ago.</p>