National Achievement Scholar?

<p>So, two schools have written me congratulating me on being a National Achievement Scholar, not Semifinalist.</p>

<p>From my in-state's letter:

[quote]

On behalf of the students, staff, and faculty at the University of New Mexico, I am pleased to congratulate you on having been recognized as a National Achievement Scholar! I understand that you have also been recognized as a National Merit Semi-Finalist...

[/quote]

And see, they seem to be aware that I'm still a Merit SF. Anyway, at first I thought it was just a weird in-state thing, but then the University of Arizona wrote me saying the same thing, though they didn't say anything about National Merit. Has this happened to anyone else? Both schools are offering full scholarships. I thought Scholars weren't announced till like April or something... I am confuzzled, to say the least. :O</p>

<p>My D got the same thing. I don’t think it means anything.</p>

<p>Some students are notifeid earlier than other; I believe the algorithm used to determine notification dates was cracked / officially released and posted on the CollegeBoard website a couple of weeks ago, and it was based off of the size of the potential scholarship as well as the geographic and SAT score-related factors.</p>

<p>Full ride from the University of Arizona. And I think Auburn. And UNM (or New Mexico State, I can’t remember). The University of Alabama was the only one that said the scholarship offer wasn’t official until I was a finalist. I emailed the person in charge of scholarships at Arizona asking whether semifinalists were also considered scholars. Since we won’t know until February or whenever. I’ll let you know as soon as he gets back to me. Here’s a great website of all the schools that give full rides for national scholars. So you might wanna check it out and contact schools you’re interested in to see what they say about it.</p>

<p>[Schools</a> Offer FREE RIDE To Students Based on PSAT Scores – Tutor Talk | Appelrouth Tutoring Services](<a href=“http://www.appelrouthtutoring.com/blog/2010/08/06/schools-offer-free-ride-to-students-based-on-psat-scores/]Schools”>http://www.appelrouthtutoring.com/blog/2010/08/06/schools-offer-free-ride-to-students-based-on-psat-scores/)</p>

<p>I got an email back from the University of Arizona which said that if you received a letter from the college saying that you were a National Achievement Scholar, then you are. At least as far as the scholarship is concerned. But I’d still check with schools you’re interested in.</p>

<p>Thanks for the link and the info, rmolton! That’s certainly nice to know. :)</p>