national achievement semifinalist and finalist?

<p>I scored a 190 on the PSAT (class of 2012). I don't know if this is enough, but I live in Louisiana. If I receive semifinalist standing, and have a 3.5 UW GPA with honors, gifted, and AP classes, will I have a chance at national achievement finalist standing if i also have good SAT scores? transcript grades: A's and B's (mostly A's), 2C's, 1D. Tell me how I measure up. Thanks!</p>

<p>School grades and SAT scores have no bearing PSAT commendation/semifinalist/finalist. There is a national cut off for commendation. It is usually around 201. Your school’s guidance counselor would have notified you and/or you would receive a letter in April 2011. National merit semifinalists and finalist are determined by State stats. I don’t know what the top 10% is in Louisiana.</p>

<p>^ No she is talking about national ACHIEVEMENT finalist. Total different scholarship.</p>

<p>They seem pretty strict on the rules of the grades…sooo…idk what to tell you. 2Cs and 1D…thats a lot… to be honest.</p>

<p>190 is good…but i think you have to be among the top for the National Achievement…I think more than 190…like 200 and above… and I’m not sure about your GPA either…but its seems pretty good…</p>

<p>I wish I could help you more…but the site doesn’t help with that. </p>

<p>I hope you get it…I’m trying for the scholarship next year…On the PSAT i got a 191…Im aiming higher!</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If you have good SAT scores, yes. They do look at your grades in school, so I’m not too sure how much that D and those two Cs will hurt your cause, but it looks like you have a good shot. I’m not too sure what the qualifying scores for NAS and NAF are in Louisiana, but I do know that they’re lower than New York’s, and I received it two years ago with a 196 (and 2270 SAT), so I think you’re in a good position.</p>

<p>I got a 203 and I’m in Texas. Is that high enough?</p>

<p>^Probably, yes. 203 is a very good score and gives you a shot at National Achievement and National Merit. Just don’t slack off on your essays.</p>

<p>So generally 190+ gives you a shot at National Achievement ?
I’m from Delaware, so it might be even lower.</p>

<p>Oh and if you aren’t fully black are you still allowed to be a national achievement semifinalist/finalist? I’m just asking because I’ve heard about some half black people not being allowed to get black scholarships.</p>

<p>^ lol…is it bad that I find that funny…</p>

<p>I think you can be half though…but its funny that you have to be “full black”…no one is full black…lol </p>

<p>But i think they say that so people don’t try to take advantage…because some people barely have african ancestor age and they try to claim to be black because of the “perks” and “benefits”. Like so many people ask on here those questions:
“should i say I’m black?”</p>

<p>Well…if your black you should have to question it…</p>

<p>203 will not be high enough for national merit in Texas. The cutoff for national merit in Texas is usually 215 or 216. However, 203 should be good enough for national achievement.</p>

<p>^Ah, I was referring to Commended Student status with regard to National Merit. Sorry if I was unclear, almost there; I thought you were asking if you would receive recognition from the programs.</p>

<p>Your grades are very important for finalist standing. With what you listed, I do not believe it is possible to qualify.</p>

<p>@loveispeace3… im full black… im the first of my generation in america my parents are from nigeria so there are some people who are fully black fyi haha.</p>

<p>I got a score of 202 my sat is 1970 and my gpa is around 3.8 weighted do i have a good chance of getting national achievement finalist? </p>

<p>I live in arizona - the whitest state in the country bhaha thank god, so i think i should get semifinalist cause not many smart black people live here. in fact im the only black person in my school that even cares about grades and education and i go to a big school of around 1500 people…smh</p>

<p>And does anyone know of any california schools that would offer full rides to an achievement finalist?</p>

<p>azballislife</p>

<p>Your not a natural black american, your African.I mean your African American, but not the kind of African American where the whole family is from America. If you were American black, then your not full black.</p>

<p>I live in Maryland with a 3.9 unweighted GPA, 202 PSAT, and 2070 SAT. Is that good enough for National Achievement finalist?</p>

<p>

it’s an interesting question, i wasn’t sure when i did it- i’m 1/4 black so i identify as biracial and i didn’t really know how to respond to the yes/no question of ‘are you black’, so i ended up saying yes because my proctor was also biracial and advised me to do so, but i still feel a little unsure of it, and apparently i probably won’t qualify because i wrote ‘other’ for race at the beginning (they only allow you to pick one race, which is the most annoying thing ever). the whole thing is just really confusing…</p>

<p>Actually, having a D on your transcript won’t hurt you too much as long as the rest of it and your standardized scores are strong. I had a D in an honors Algebra II class and I became a Finalist – 198 on PSAT in Maryland, which is a high-index state, and a 2090 on the SATs – so it’s not outside the realm of possibilities. I’m pretty sure I slapped together my essays, and I had essentially zero ECs, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Really.</p>

<p>^How were the rest of your grades? (I live in Maryland, too.)</p>

<p>Mostly A and A- grades with a few Bs that were later raised. That D is a loner. I also had three 4s – not too impressive by CC standards, but it worked for NASC.</p>