National Alumni scholarships

<p>My son anxiously waiting for a letter from the alumni association if he will receive any more money from them. This will be the final factor determining if he can afford Bama or not. We live in Florida so the mail could take a little longer to get to us but I noticed a lot of students were already receiving their letters.
Do you think they will send a letter if you didn’t receive the top crimson scholarship?
He has a 32 ACT and like a 3.92 unweighted GPA. How likely do u think he is to receive an alumni scholarship?</p>

<p>My D received one of the two for which priority consideration is given to students from our county. I can share her stats if you like.</p>

<p>Her letter was dated March 7. We received it two days later. We live about 2.5 hours from Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>Have all the “special” scholarship notice letters been sent. My son received the Presidential Scholarship letter but I am wondering if other awards may come.</p>

<p>My D’s friend received one letter with his NMF scholarship info and a separate one from the School of Music with a music scholarship.</p>

<p>*Do you think they will send a letter if you didn’t receive the top crimson scholarship?
He has a 32 ACT and like a 3.92 unweighted GPA. How likely do u think he is to receive an alumni scholarship? *</p>

<p>Are you asking about the Alumni Crimson Scholarship? </p>

<p>I can’t say that your child won’t get one, but it’s not likely. I think only 10 or so Crimson Scholarships are awarded and Bama received a good number of apps this year from students with equal or higher scores. To give you an idea, Bama enrolls about 500 frosh each year with Presidential scholarships. </p>

<p>Or are you asking about the other scholarships that are given to children of alumni?</p>

<p>Your son has been given the Presidential scholarship for full out of state tuition, right? What would be his other school choice that would be less expensive?</p>

<p>What is his major?</p>

<p>I found the National Alumni Association’s annual report for 2009-2010 that showed they awarded 12 Crimson Scholarships for that school year. One student was from LA; the other 11 were from AL.</p>

<p>Musryan9, my son is also out of state (NC) and we received his scholarship letter this past Thursday (3/11). We did not receive any more than the Presidential and his ACT was 34 and GPA is also 3.9. </p>

<p>We were hoping for some additional as well but it appears the Crimson scholarships are heavily weighted toward certain counties in Alabama and we did not receive a department scholarship from the college of Arts and Science</p>

<p>I think the school has said students who get the Presidential, usually do not get dept scholarships unless the major is engineering, music, or art. Supposedly, the other depts reserve their scholarships for student who haven’t been given big university scholarships.</p>

<p>there may be some other exceptions for other majors.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info spiceman. So he got a letter telling him he didn’t receive the crimson scholarship? </p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-I500 using CC App</p>

<p>No, he did not get a letter specifically telling him he did not get one. He got a letter that told him he received the Presidential.</p>

<p>However, since he has received no other letters, we are assuming that this will be the only scholarship he is getting for freshman year.</p>

<p>We received an award letter over the weekend (OOS) for the Capstone. We had already received the same info back in the fall. Is there another letter that notifies you of other awards or do we assume that is it?</p>

<p>I just called the Scholarship office and was told the award letter we received over the weekend was the final award offer. We are disappointed, naturally, that D only received $1500 per year from Alabama but received $10k or more per year from Ohio State & Mississippi State. Well, sometimes life leads you down different paths for a reason. Good luck to all & can I still say it … Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I got a letter with my UA Scholar Scholarship and Engineering Scholarships in the mail today. (it was dated March 7, but I live in South Florida). Two of my grandparents attended UA and are a part of the alumni association; at least, I assume they are because they receive UA alumni in the mail regularly. I applied for the Alumni Scholarship back in october, but have not received anything since. Because it was my grandparents, and not my parents, am I not in the running at all for any alumni scholarship money? Also, what kind of money is there available with this scholarship, how many do they usually give out each year, and what are the requirements?</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>Grandchildren do qualify. Are your grandparents current members of the Alumni Assoc? </p>

<p>the scholarship is for $1k per year.</p>

<p><a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/11-12ScholarFlyer.pdf[/url]”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/11-12ScholarFlyer.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>My son has two grandparents in the Alumni Assoc. and applied for the $1k scholarship. He has not received any correspondence from them.</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>I wonder if you should send an email to them asking about this.</p>

<p>I hope poster did contact alumni association. Another post on another thread, prompted me to telephone the alumni office in early April. My DD’s academic stats qualified for the scholarship that allowed a parent/grandparent to immediately join for her to be eligible for a renewable scholarship. Grandmother is now a proud association member. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>We were invited to join the Alumni Association as parents of a current student. We just received the annual report, and I was amazed at how many scholarships they give out. I mean, pages and pages of them. What a great organization!</p>

<p>I believe that there is only one top OOS Crimson Scholarship.</p>