National Hispanic Recognition Program Class of 2021

No harm in applying; only requires that you send in your transcript. If you get it, great. It becomes one more thing to list on your apps.

As to actual benefits, it depends on where you are applying. There are some universities that explicitly mention NHRP scholars receiving app fee waivers and/or merit scholarships, sometimes with other qualifications that need to be met.

For example, Fordham University requires that NHRP admits are among the top 2-3% of their applicants for a full-tuition scholarship. Northeastern University offers merit scholarships to NHRP admitted students as well. In fact, Northeastern offered our son $30,000 per year over the equivalent of 4 academic years (15,000/semester, 7,500/half semester).

More importantly, regardless of your PSAT or receiving NHRP, study your ass-off (e.g., using Kahn Academy) to get the best SAT score you can. Yes, it is only one aspect of a universityā€™s holistic admission process, neverthelessā€¦

I received an email on 5/19/20 notifying me that my son was invited to apply. He says he never received an email. I double-checked his email account to be certain. I then sent an email to the College Board. They said an email had been sent to his school email account on 3/26/20. Iā€™m not sure why he didnā€™t get it. Perhaps the school filters blocked it? They sent his invitation number to me with a link for the application. Keep in mind that your student is also able to self-nominate. They just need to send an email to CBRP@scholarshipamerica.org for application instructions. The application deadline is July 1. A high school transcript is required to be sent.

I forgot to mention: he scored a 1330 in Texas.

Just an FYI - Award notifications seems to be coming out today. D21 just received hers. Hopefully it will be a positive if she never gets to take the actual SAT or ACT as its now been cancelled 3 times for her. Now scheduled for October. Letā€™s hope that happens.

@EGHopeful did you get an email or a letter in the mail?

@Aguadecoco she received an email directly from College Board

Hello All, Son received selection notification via email from College Board today. Check your emails.
Is there an updated list of NHRP scholarship schools? Will some brave souls start one, if not?

1 Like

I saw that University of Alabama updated their NM page to now include this updated award. Itā€™s pretty impressive. Sad that D21 doesnā€™t want to attend any of the colleges that has scholarships for winning but hopefully it will give her somewhat of a boost if she never is able to obtain a real SAT score.

FYI-My son found his notification in his junk mail.

I wonder if the emails have all gone out or if they go out in batches? We havenā€™t heard anything (in Southern CA)

My son got an email yesterday. Weā€™re in NH.

1 Like

My HS senior received notification email from College Board on Friday (we are in TX)

Congrats to all of those who have been recognized! :smile:

My S21 also got a notification email from the College Board on Friday 9/4 that he had made it. We are in WA.

We got an email in California.

We also found the email in the junk folder.

Congratulations to all the kids!

Of course, it had been sitting in his junk folder for 4 days (eye roll). Congrats to all the kids who were recognized!

I know Univ of Alabama is pretty generous for NHRP, but Iā€™m sure there are a lot more schools out there that our kids can benefit from for merit. Anyone want to share good ones that they know of?

U Kentucky and ASU give full tuition scholarships.

Here are the colleges that I have found so far that have generous tuition scholarships for NHRP or awards based on auto merit (min GPA and SAT/ACT requirements):
Univ of Alabama
Univ of AL Birmingham
Univ of Arizona
Arizona State Univ
Univ of Kentucky
Univ of Nebraska-Lincoln
New Mexico State Univ
Univ of South Carolina

1 Like

It looks like Florida International University has full tuition, fees, plus room and board, up to the cost of attendance for the first year for NHRP. Upon closer look though, you have to have a 4.0 GPA and min SAT/ACT score in addition to NHRP.
National Hispanic - Students who qualify for Presidential/Ambassador scholarships and are selected as a finalist. Awards full tuition, fees, room and board, up to the cost of attendance as published by the Office of Student Financials.
https://admissions.fiu.edu/cost-and-aid/scholarships/index.html

1 Like

Northeastern University (Boston, MA) give ā€œcompetitive merit-basedā€ awards to National Recognition Program Scholars.

https://studentfinance.northeastern.edu/applying-for-aid/undergraduate/types-of-aid/scholarships/

(Info from last yearā€™s FA pages stated that awards were ā€œup to 30,000/year.ā€ Whether the same is true for this year is unknown. )