National Hispanic Recognition Program Cutoff Scores Class of 2020

I contacted the National Hispanic Recognition Program this morning to find out cutoff scores for the class of 2020. My daughter is in Texas - and for the region that includes Texas, the cutoff score is 1290. It was 1270 for our region last year. My daughter is eligible!

Our large public high school routinely has about a dozen students annually who qualify for this program, so we are familiar with the process. If your school is not familiar with this program, please be sure to reach out to your school counselor.

Below is the info I received this morning - to check for your particular state/region - contact them at nhrp@scholarshipamerica.org

To qualify in the State of Texas, you must have achieved a 1290 or higher on the PSAT/NMQST taken during the fall of their junior year. If this score was met or exceeded, you are at least 25% Hispanic, have a 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent), and will be graduating with the Class of 2020; you would be eligible to apply

Hi Cheerchoirmom
I’m not familiar with the program. Can you illuminate on the program? Where do you apply? Thank you

My daughter also received the email. We are in the West region - I called CB and they said 1290 was cutoff score. So happy her #1 school gives a great merit scholarship for NHRP.

I got the invitation with a 1440 psat score in the mid-atlantic region.

My son received the invitation letter yesterday and now I am wondering if his 4.3 Weighted GPA will be enough. I do not know exactly what his unweighted GPA is. The form clearly says GPA must be on a 4.0 but it also says provide the higher of W or UW. It sounds very confusing for me.

This is what the application says:

“Please provide the student’s cumulative GPA at the mid-point of junior year. The GPA must be provided on a 4.0 scale. If the school calculates both weighted and unweighted GPAs, provide the higher of the two. Failure to provide a GPA will deem your application incomplete.”

I emailed the College Board and the answer was this:

“Thank you for your interest in the National Hispanic Recognition Program.
He may be considered with a weighted or unweighted whichever the school fills out in the Verification Form. The GPA must be 3.5 or above.”
Please let us know if you have any other questions, or if we can assist you further.

Warm regards,
Lisa
Lisa Miller | Customer Service Representative
National Hispanic Recognition Program

@jtbuddy https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/scholarships-and-recognition/national-hispanic-recognition-program

Thank you. My DD received her invitation. The website was very helpful.

Is any DD or DS planning on going to a school where they will get a substantial scholarship due to NHRP?

@SaguaroMom
My DS will apply to a few schools that offer a NHRP scholarship. He is mostly considering large public universities.

My son received an invitation. His counselor filled out the form but I am not sure if the school is familiar with the program. This is also my first child going through the process. I believe he needs to scan the form and turn it in. Anything else that we should do after that? is there an update of school that take this into consideration during the application process? Thank you! :slight_smile:

The cutoff in North Carolina is 1370