National hispanic recognition program

My son’s letter and certificate arrived in today’s mail.

This is a question for those of you with kids that were recognized in past years. What happens once your child was notified? Did you receive additional information from colleges? If so how soon thereafter? Just found out my son made it but don’t really know what to do with the info at this point.

You can check with the colleges that your son is interested in and see if they offer merit based on NHRP. A few off the top of my head include Boston University, Fordham and U of Chicago (though only 4K).

Hello- I’m new to the boards. Just wanted to ask if there is anyone else still waiting on the NHRP certificate. My son has not received his yet.

My daughter did not receive hers but I called the NHRP and was told she got it and was in the system and that they were mailed on 8/9 from Minnesota. We were out of town the following week and had our mail held so we think it’s possible it got lost at the post office. The school gets notified and once we hear from the school I’m going to call and ask to see if we can get it resent.

Thanks for the response. We had some mail held as well about a week ago. It’s possible they lost ours, too!

I called today and found out he got it!!

Are people listing NHRP as State/Regional or National on the Common App?

National since the word ‘National’ is part of the name.

That’s not correct. National Honor Society is a School designation. National Merit Semifinalist is a State/Regional. Since NHRP is dependent of your score from a several state region it’s not exactly National but it’s more than State. You could interpret the Region in State/Region to be a region within the state or a region in the USA made of several states like for NHRP.

NHS is also a national organization with local chapters. I see @Dolemite 's logic, but I still think once you are in you are part of a national group. Once you are nhrp/nmsf/nhs, no one cares what state you are from. Whereas if you win a state level competition in a sport or activity that is very different from winning a national level competition.

The Common App help specifically says NHS is schooland NMSF is State and that NMF is National. They don’t have anything for NHRP. It’s a bit ambiguous and I’m being a bit pedantic

I think NHRP would be considered National like NMF. Both are considered national finalists.

NHRP is a national award and should be listed as such on a student’s common application. I have confirmed this with several sources a few years ago when my own children were applying to college.

@newrecruit Do you by any chance know what last year’s cutoff for NHRP in Texas was?

@minimango The cutoff for this year’s Seniors was 191 or 190.