National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>My consoler called CB and just faxed my details to them. Thanks Entomom for the suggestion.</p>

<p>^^^ Great!</p>

<p>My consoler just forward an email from NHSP that I’ll will get my award letter and the school with get the cert. in Sept. What does that mean?</p>

<p>It means you’re a NHRP finalist and your name will be distributed to participating colleges:</p>

<p>"Mid-September of senior year: NHRP provides counselors with the names of the students selected for the list and distributes award certificates to counselors for student recognition. NHRP also sends out formal award letters congratulating you on your recognition. </p>

<p>October of senior year: NHRP distributes the list of students to subscribing colleges and universities."</p>

<p>So, expect lots of mail and take a look at the threads on the OP and see if there are any colleges that offer merit aid for NHRP that appeal to you. Congrats!</p>

<p>Thanks to itsv & entomom, without your postings and advice I won’t have gotten this recognition and opportunities that are coming.</p>

<p>Best of luck, keep us posted when you apply this fall!</p>

<p>Does anyone know if the GPA requirement is weighted or unweighted??</p>

<p>My guess would be UW, as schools weight differently and some not at all. You’d have to give NHRP a call to find out for sure.</p>

<p>Do they just use your gpa for junior year or your cumulative gpa? I had a really tough year because I had mono and took 4 aps and one advanced honors. My cumulative UW gpa is a 3.8 but my weighted is a 4.7…</p>

<p>Cumulative. And when i called NHRP, I was told it was weighted.</p>

<p>A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is also required.</p>

<p>[National</a> Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP)](<a href=“College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools”>Scholarships and Recognition with PSAT/NMSQT - SAT Suite)</p>

<p>^^^Note: 3.0-3.49 qualifies for Honorable Mention, you need a 3.5 for Scholar designation.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Good for kids at the schools that weight, but kinda unfair to the kids in HSs that don’t.</p>

<p>Hello. I found out a few days ago from my gc that I’m a finalist. I’m from Texas and received a 196.</p>

<p>Congratulations and welcome to CC andreaaz!</p>

<p>Hi, My son was called into his GC last week to sign some paperwork. We are from Texas, and his score on the PSAT was 196. He said he was not told much, but had to sign some paperwork verifying that he was hispanic. Could this mean he has been picked to be a finalist?</p>

<p>Sounds likely, his PSAT score is in the usual range. When GCs are notified that a student has qualified for NHRP based on their PSAT score, they need to verify their gpa (at least 3.0) and Hispanic ethnicity. Look for this next fall:</p>

<p>"Mid-September of senior year: NHRP provides counselors with the names of the students selected for the list and distributes award certificates to counselors for student recognition. NHRP also sends out formal award letters congratulating you on your recognition. "</p>

<p>Thank you for your response. We will wait until mid Sept. to hear something.</p>

<p>Entomom,</p>

<p>Are there any more restrictions or criteria, other than the ethnicity check & gpa?</p>

<p>Do they send out more than 5,000 and then do a selection process? </p>

<p>Also, can there be more than 1 per high school? My D said there were 2 kids ahead of her at the counselor office.</p>

<p>Our school often has several. I think we had a dozen this year.</p>

<p>Tx,
The only other criteria is the PSAT score, and NHRP does their best to keep them secret, apparently they change from year to year and between states. </p>

<p>I believe that the 5k the website mentions is the number names that are sent to participating colleges. So, as I read it, they’re talking about finalists.</p>

<p>I agree with YDS, the cutoff is based on PSAT scores; your D won’t be affected if there are others in her HS that qualify.</p>