National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>Perhaps one way the NHRP helps is simply by being on a resume and thus, schools see that a student is, in fact, Hispanic.</p>

<p>My son’s ECs were also not related to being Hispanic, per se.</p>

<p>^ Good point, since colleges know that a school counselor has verified the applicant’s ethnic identity. I do not know about other states, but in Texas PSAT is also free (paid for by the state) and possibly the most ubiquitous standardized test taken by juniors.</p>

<p>So, did your kids attend schools with mostly Hispanic students?</p>

<p>Does anyone know the PSAT cutoff scores for the NHRP for the class of 2013?</p>

<p>I read here that they come out in April.</p>

<p>Not yet. You could call and find out when they’ll be released …</p>

<p>I called today and was told that the cutoff for N.Y. is 184. I am happy because my son made it!!</p>

<p>Congratulations to Omzac & son!</p>

<p>Thank you, chessysmom!! And best of luck to your daughter at Tufts!</p>

<p>Congrats, omzac!</p>

<p>Congrats Omzac & son! Hopefully we’ll start hearing lots of good news soon.</p>

<p>Thank you, Youdon’t say and entomom! Hopefully, we will hear of many more who qualified.</p>

<p>Congrats on making the cutoff!</p>

<p>I just called and my son missed it by 1 point…bummer</p>

<p>Sorry to hear that wally. </p>

<p>Do check out the Resources sticky thread if you haven’t already, it contains lots of great information that your S can use for paid college fly-ins, other scholarship programs, etc.</p>

<p>Entomom, I am sorry for the stupid question, but how do you access a sticky thread?</p>

<p>^All but the Resources thread work like other threads, they are just stuck because they are important or frequently used. </p>

<p>The Resources thread is locked, so you can read it, but can’t post on it. If you have something that you think would be helpful to put on it, PM me and I will add it.</p>

<p>Only a Mod can stick a thread, if that’s what you were asking. And I’m always open to suggestions, although we try to keep the number of stickies down so that the active thread list doesn’t get shoved too far down the page.</p>

<p>entomom, this might sound silly, but have you ever considered calling the NHRP people and saying, “This is entomom, a moderator for college confidential. Can you tell me the regional NHRP cutoffs? If I can post that info, it would save you a lot of phone calls.” That way, the info is out early in one place, instead of the piecemeal way it leaks out now. Just a thought. :)</p>

<p>I e-mailed NHRP and found out the cut-off score for the October 2011 PSAT for Nevada is 184. Can anyone tell me the process now that my son’s score meet the NHRP cut-off? I am new to this but I know some schools across the country offer great scholarships for the designation as a NHS.</p>

<p>i got a letter in the mail telling me that i was in the top 50,000 PSAT scorers (205) but nothing from/about NHRP… do I have to call to find out? I’m listed as hispanic on my collegeboard account, and I declared myself hispanic</p>

<p>Yds,</p>

<p>You caught me! I have had it in the back of my mind to call up NHRP and ask for this year’s Regional cutoffs, but have been too lazy and forgetful to do it. I’ll email them tonight or call tomorrow and see what they say.</p>

<p>LVM, </p>

<p>Welcome to CC and congratulations to your S! </p>

<p>NHRP contacts your HS GC who then contacts your S. The GC will fill out paperwork with gpa and confirmation of Hispanic status. After that it’s a long wait until next fall for the official announcement. </p>

<p>If your HS is one where NHRP is not well known, your S may want to give your GC a heads up now, or if they don’t contact him before the end of the school year, have the GC contact NHRP. It’s still very early in the process, we’ve had students here on CC who have contacted NHRP via their HS GC in the fall and still received the honor.</p>

<p>This is a great thread that one of our members compiled with NHRP scholarships:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Do check the websites of schools your S is interested in, as changes occur in these scholarships from year to year.</p>

<p>cc,</p>

<p>From the above posts, it appears that NHRP has just started notifications. As I said earlier, you might want to talk to your HS GC so that they are aware of the program and are on the lookout for information coming from NHRP. </p>

<p>It’s highly likely that your score qualifies, as the cutoffs don’t change a lot and these are last year’s cutoffs from an earlier post on this thread:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>p.s. </p>

<p>The NHRP website says early May for notification of eligibility, so as always, CCers are way ahead of the curve.</p>

<p>And it says that official recognition comes out in August.</p>