National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>Wait until the fall.</p>

<p>When school starts up immediately talk to your GC about your designated ethnicity. If there’s a problem have a parent call them up.</p>

<p>Then have the GC call or email NHRP and have them send the forms. Your GC will confirm your ethnicity and your gpa, I think you need to sign too. Your GC should return the information immediately and you should be able to receive the recognition. Every year we have students apply and receive NHRP in the fall.</p>

<p>Okay thank you!</p>

<p>S went to see guidance counselor to have form filled out and faxed to CB NHRP rep. Now we wait!</p>

<p>Good luck, let us know how it goes!</p>

<p>According to College Board, certificates will be sent out in September. In many cases, students have already been verified by the school.</p>

<p>^True.</p>

<p>However, every year there are students who qualify but for one reason or another have been overlooked in the spring. They get their HS GCs to notify NHRP as soon as school starts in the fall and receive recognition.</p>

<p>You can actually call the college board and ask if a) you are on the list and b) have been verified by the school. If you have hit the minimum score and are not on the list, than it’s an issue that has to be resolved. </p>

<p>If you’re on the list and have not been verified, then it’s probably a school admin issue. The college board can also tell you who at the school received the info. </p>

<p>Interestingly, at our school, the list of students isn’t sent to the counselors but to the school administration who then responds to the college board</p>

<p>I was told by Collegeboard that I made it, but my school has not verified yet. What is the advantage to this? Collegeboard sends out the names of those who qualify to various colleges? Potential scholarships? I contacted my guidance counselor, but she hasn’t responded.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, that’s what I was saying in my earlier post, that even if you were not on the original list of students who marked Hispanic on their PSAT, you can still call up NHRP and be verified if your score and gpa make the cutoff and you meet the NHRP definition of Hispanic. Many students don’t mark Hispanic for various reasons; for instance, it’s optional and they don’t know about the program, they don’t fully understand the definition of Hispanic and don’t think/have been told they aren’t Hispanic, etc. We have had several on this forum who resolved this problem early in the fall and received NHRP recognition.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, many schools have administrative difficulty with the verification part. Even though D1 went through the process, D2 had to follow up several times as the person dedicated to college admissions did not get the paperwork.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m not exactly sure what you mean by this, but I’m assuming it’s that your PSAT score made the cutoff for your Region. If that’s the case, your HS GC has to fill out a form that states that given the NHRP guidelines that you are Hispanic and report your gpa. This needs to happen before you are recognized.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is an award/recognition that can go on your college app, you get on the radar of the colleges that participate, many schools offer scholarships (there are no scholarships directly from the CB for NHRP). For scholarships, go to the Resources sticky thread at the top of the page and look at the first thread under Scholarships.</p>

<p>Be sure to contact your GC as soon as school starts if you don’t get ahold of them this summer.</p>

<p>I received my status as a scholar today :). My counselor showed me the certificate while I was at school taking care of some pre-class business. She had me sign the verification in June right before school let out.</p>

<p>Does anybody know what their process is for notifying colleges about award recipients or which schools are included?</p>

<p>Congrats!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>From the NHRP website:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Unlike Ventures scholar, I’ve never seen a list of participating colleges.</p>

<p>I know my DD made a high enough PSAT score to qualify and had the GPA to back it up but she was never called into the GC back in the spring to sign anything. I was getting worried so I called the college board today (877-358-6777 option 3). They told me she had qualified and that the school just did the verification online (large HS in Texas, lots of Hispanics). Just thought I’d put this out there as an FYI for those who are still waiting to hear something.</p>

<p>I sent them a message asking which schools are involved. They told me that they are not permitted to release the list, but that subscribers will be able to see the list of scholars/honorable mention recipients on Sep. 3.</p>

<p>jokahugo, </p>

<p>Congratulations to your D! Glad to hear that those students missed in the spring are continuing to be able to receive recognition when they contact NHRP early in the school year.</p>

<p>ryry, </p>

<p>Thanks for checking, not sure why it’s such a big secret!?!</p>

<p>I got honorable mention. sweet haha</p>

<p>Congrats sam!</p>

<p>I got NHRP Scholar! Sounds nifty. Will this help with getting into an Ivy? I know it’ll help with scholarships at different colleges, but will it help at Ivies?</p>

<p>Hi Everyone,
I just wanted everyone to know the College Board has sent out the letters notifying students they have been seleceted as 2012-13 National Hispanic Scholars. My son received his letter yesterday :slight_smile: Be on the lookout for your letter.</p>

<p>Just received a letter confirming I’m a scholar. Does anyone know if any top colleges have historically awarded anything to NHRP scholars?</p>

<p>Thanks! I’ll be on the lookout as ds’s school never said a thing last spring. Nothing in the mail today.</p>

<p>pentu, there’s another thread just below this one with a listing of all kinds of scholarships. Don’t know what you mean by a “top college” but most really top schools don’t give a lot of merit aid, saving it for FA. Ds1’s school, Carleton, is a top LAC and gives $2K a year for NHRP.</p>