National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>Hi everyone! :)</p>

<p>This might seem like a silly question but, do these letters arrive to one’s home or at the school as with National Merit? I got a 221 on my PSAT and I’m half Cuban, living on the East Coast. Should I have already gotten one? I go back to school on Tuesday. Thanks! :)</p>

<p>Just got my scholar notification in SE Texas! I was terrified I was only going to get honorable mention :)</p>

<p>My DD got the letter today. NHRP scholar. Yay for her!</p>

<p>My daughter got her letter today stating she is a scholar - guess I could have just waited two days instead of making that phone call! I am far more excited about this than she is though because none of her top choices really give anything for receiving this recognition. We aren’t going to qualify for much in FA at any school(which my no means indicates we’re rich enough to afford her top choices either so at least this designation gives her options she has not considered up until now).</p>

<p>I got the letter today! I’m a scholar.</p>

<p>My son received the letter stating that he is a NHRP scholar. He is really happy. I am so grateful to have found this site because I would otherwise never have known about NHRP. My son is hoping to get a good scholarship to Fordham, one of his top schools.</p>

<p>I got a letter in the mail and a call from my school about being chosen as a National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholar! I hope it’ll look nice on my applications. :D</p>

<p>Just joined CC and am a little overwhelmed! My son was just named an NHRP scholar so I started doing some research and found CC. Thank you so much to all of you who have been doing this research and posting for the rest of us to benefit. We are getting a late start to the scholarship search (class of 13) because we thought our options were going to be limited financially. We made a default decision to go the local state school. Hopefully the NHRP scholar designation will help open up the opportunities.</p>

<p>kairosntx, Welcome to CC and the Hispanic Students forum!</p>

<p>Congrats to your S and all of the other NHRP scholars!</p>

<p>Found out from school counselor perazzi son made scholar. Found out on CC forum, he makes NMSF since someone with 3 points less has made it in our state, TX!</p>

<p>Great news, congrats to perazziSon!</p>

<p>Are they still sending out the letters, I hope I made the cutoff! I’m from Arizona and received a 184…the suspense is killing me :)</p>

<p>^See post #475 of this thread.</p>

<p>Did your GC get a hold of you in the spring? If not, you should talk to them immediately and have them contact NHRP. Every year there are some students who would qualify but are overlooked for one reason or another, now is the time to correct the situation if this has happened to you.</p>

<p>No, they never called me in during the spring,but my score qualifies? Hmm guess I’ll be making an appointment pronto. I’ve been counting on the letter every day, hopefully the counselor can give me the 411.</p>

<p>Take a look at the NHRP website, the usual process is that students who have self-identified on the PSAT as Hispanic and hit the cut-off are notified via their HS GC in the spring to have their ethnicity and gpa verified.</p>

<p>However, it’s not too late, there are always some students that are missed, just have your GC contact NHRP ASAP.</p>

<p>^entomom, my son was never asked to sign anything by his counselor in the spring. However, the counselor office has verified that he is on the list of scholars at the school.</p>

<p>I don’t know if the student has to sign anything, but the GC has to respond.</p>

<p>Counselor called the college board, found out I was a scholar and filled out all the online work for me! They said I should get a letter very soon; apparently there was a mishap and the online work was never filled out by the psat counselor last spring because he retired…SO glad I asked GC to call. Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>Glad it worked out for you, congrats!</p>

<p>Hello Everyone!
So it looks like my D made the florida cutoff for NMS semifinalist. She is also Hispanic and noted this on her app. She is also competing for an award from her Dad’s company, Siemens. Her number one school is Columbia Engineering and she is doing EA (early descision). What do you all feel are her chances of getting in to Columbia? ( she scored 1400 on SAT in April). We are so overwhelmed right now! help!</p>