National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>Hello all. Has anyone received a letter from Fordham indicating that they are eligible for the NHRP merit scholarship?</p>

<p>I don’t think any such thing is sent proactively; my D received the scholarship award notice at the time we received the formal letter of acceptance (which was not the early notification before Thanksgiving).</p>

<p>Thanks, chessysmom. Hope your daughter is doing well! Did she receive an early notification to Fordham?</p>

<p>Yes, she is doing well, although she did not take Fordham’s offer (aargh!) and at Tufts in Boston. The early notification came right before Thanksgiving, with the formal notice & scholarship right around mid-December, if I recall. </p>

<p>Best wishes to you this fall!</p>

<p>Thank you, chessysmom. All the best to your daughter as well!</p>

<p>the part i hate is that this is ANOTHER PSAT only thing. my dd didn’t take the PSAT … but blew the SAT away, is young and off to college and no recognition/scholarships because due to age we didn’t know when her ‘junior’ year would be…

there are some really smart hispanic kids that get overlooked… this is so unfair for her… she may not be able to go to some of the top schools in the nation not due to grade but $$</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>While the term ‘top schools’ is debatable, if one is talking about rankings or selectivity (acceptance rate), very few of the ‘top schools’ offer merit aid at all, let alone substantial amounts. And I don’t think any of the top 50 USN&WR schools give half or full tuition for NMS. Not sure when the larger scholarships click in for NHRP…our scholarship thread could use a compilation and update…</p>

<p>reeldancer, I’m confused, is your D in college or currently applying?</p>

<p>Does anyone know what the cutoff for the Class of 2013 was for the Southern Region?</p>

<p>The cutoff was 193 last year, but no one has reported what it is this year. If you call the NHRP office, they will tell you.</p>

<p>It is official, S finally receieved certificate recognizing him as NHRP scholar. He received NM commended same day.</p>

<p>Entomom,
I reviewed the list of colleges per your link. Is there a location with an updated 2012 list? The list I reviewed was excellent but from 2009. Auburn no longer provides as generous package. Maybe I missed something. This forum is a great service. Thanks.</p>

<p>I’m not sure if itsv has an updated list or not. I know that there have been several schools that have either reduced or done away with their scholarships since the financial crisis.</p>

<p>I’ve been thinking of going through this thread, consolidating all input, and having members comment on additions, deletions and changes, but unfortunately I’ve got a kid applying to med school right now and haven’t had the time.</p>

<p>The only thing I can think of that might be of help to you would be this list of NMS schools:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/649276-nmf-scholarships-updated-compilation-45.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/649276-nmf-scholarships-updated-compilation-45.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It’s kept up-to-date (see the last page), and many of the NMS schools also extend scholarships to Nat. Achiev. and NHRP scholars. You’d have to go to the college websites and check the current status, but at least it narrows down the list. Sorry I can’t be of any more help. </p>

<p>I know that itsv’s S is at ‘the’ OSU (to differentiate it from my OSU–Oregon State ;)) with some very good scholarship(s). Of course, your S might want to stray further from home as many do…</p>

<p>Welcome to CC, keep posting if you have more questions, there’s a sticky thread at the top of the forum for the current sr class.</p>

<p>I haven’t updated the list since I did it in 2009 but my DD is taking the PSAT next week and if she gets the necessary score then I will go through the list and update it. If she doesn’t then I don’t have the time to do it now. I know Lagpan had some recent scholarship information as well as this posting. <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1377251-national-hispanic-scholar-scholarships.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1377251-national-hispanic-scholar-scholarships.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If your child is interested in a particular school always ask whether they offer any scholarship for NHRP. Some schools do not have it listed on any website but do offer scholarships for NHRP.</p>

<p>How do you repost my post in this thread? I thought it had a lot of good updated info.</p>

<p>Lapagan: I couldn’t find your updated info but then just now realized I could click on your name and find your recent posts. here is the link to your updated scholarship info for NHRP. </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/14780556-post133.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/14780556-post133.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>When I copied and pasted your post here it did not include the links so I think the only way is by clicking on the link I provided.</p>

<p>Thanks! Too bad the links won’t copied but at least the people can go back to the original post.</p>

<p>Just to be sure, the actual award certificate doesn’t matter, right? My counselor at my school is new, and I’m pretty sure she’s unfamiliar with the program. I have already been notified by mail (by the collegeboard) that I received recognition.</p>

<p>I don’t think certificates go out until the spring anyhow, after most applications are due. So as long as you’ve been notified, you can list it on applications and apply for scholarships.</p>

<p>Just noticed that NHRP changed the timeline on their website, they have given a deadline for late application:</p>

<p>[PSAT/NMSQT</a> Scholarships & Recognition](<a href=“College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools”>For Students: National Recognition Programs - BigFuture)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Does anyone have any updated information on the cutoff scores for NHS? specifically the southern region?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>