National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>Florida cutoff this year was higher than in the past, 193, fyi for anyone who is wondering.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info rosa and welcome to CC! </p>

<p>When I get time, I’m going to try and go through all of the NHRP threads and make a list of the cutoffs for each state for different years. Hopefully that will give students a better idea of what they are for their location.</p>

<p>I don’t know if this is the correct thread for this information but on the phone today, USC (University of Southern California) said that they give the Presidential Scholarship (50%) tuition to National Hispanic Scholars in the NHRP. Since to hear about it since this economy is so bad. Also so far I have found about 53 schools that will give some type of merit scholarship to National Hispanic Scholars. Also I suggest calling any colleges you are interested in and asking if they give any award for National Hispanic Scholar in the NHRP because not all list them on their websites. </p>

<p>Hope this info is helpful.</p>

<p>Very helpful info itsv!</p>

<p>itsv, want to list those colleges? And then the rest of us can add to it with what we know?</p>

<p>I know there’s another list like that floating around, but it’s a couple of years old and might have changed.</p>

<p>^^^I PMed itsv, asking just that, it would be great to have a current list.</p>

<p>Okay, being Hispanic and a mom, i will post my info but I ask a few things in return.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>I’ll post the school and amount, but you (as in today’s student of Hispanic heritage) needs to find the info for themselves on the college website or through a phone call to the college admissions/financial aid office. As I tell my kids, they have to do some of the work so that they are invested in the process and their future.</p></li>
<li><p>This listing took me a lot of time and effort, so as they say try “to pay it forward” sometime in your life, remember other minority students, volunteer to help the less advantage etc.</p></li>
<li><p>Never think that college is not possible for you. Back in the 70’s when I was applying for college, we had no money but my mother said not to worry that we would figure out a way to pay and get it into to school. I was one of the first receipents of a scholarship from the National Hispanic Scholarship Fund. College and graduate school worked out so much better for me in my life than I ever could imagine. Seeing all the money available to today’s Hispanic students reminded me of my mother’s work. Put the effort and hard work into your college application process today and it will all work out in the end.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>So on that note, there will be a separate post to my listing.
Good luck, itsv (your Hispanic mom)</p>

<p>There should be a thread somewhere, or even a list on an outside website.</p>

<p>There is absolutely no reason WHATSOEVER that a list of monitary resources for intelligent Hispanic students, under represented minorities, should not be widely available for everyone to access.</p>

<p>Bekindreqind: trust me, i am trained as an investigative lawyer and no such lists exists on a website. The threads on cc are old and in my opinion, incomplete or now no longer available. I spent hours in my research. In addition, I and my son’s college counselor called and bugged collegeboard trying to get some kind of list out of them to no avail. For that reason I am willing to share.</p>

<p>Bekindrewind, I am sorry for misspelling your name. I’m trying to get a child off to practice, make dinner and type at the same time.</p>

<p>Many thanks to itsv for sharing her information and support, here’s a link to her new thread listing schools that offer merit scholarships to NHRP finalists:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thank you for your generosity, itsv, from another Hispanic mom. Your sharing of this list is a good reminder of the “pay it forward” principle in action.</p>

<p>DITTO ITSV, thanks for all your efforts. Appreciate your help and thoughtfulness.<br>
Gracias from my house to yours</p>

<p>Just read the thread - wow! You did a ton of work. This is going to help a lot of people.</p>

<p>I’m from Texas and I got a 196, like andrea and CyMom…</p>

<p>My GC made me sign something that I was hispanic, or whatever. However(unlike them), I have not been told anything. Should I be worried? </p>

<p>I have a 3.9 GPA, and I got same score… so I should qualify too, right?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Thank you for all of your hard work. As the parent of a hispanic student, I really appreciate this. I think a resource like this list should be shared so I will share it. My kids both attended bilingual schools and many parents are totally unaware of how this stuff works. Worse, our GC department is almost criminally negligent in helping the hispanic kids find money and letting them know that the process starts really early in HS. I sat in an information session where the GC lectured the parents of Juniors about when to sign up for SATI and SAT IIs. I spent the better part whispering translations to other mothers but I was stumped by the SAT II math 2 test (I went to university here in the 1980’s but had never heard of this test) and realized my son should have taken it after he finished Algebra II in 9th grade…late news. </p>

<p>As my son is now beginning the application process, he just got an offer to visit an out of state university (all expenses paid) and the invite appears to be financed in part by the Latin American Student Association at the University. Perhaps we can also try to compile a list of schools that make this effort for the hispanic kids. It makes a lot of sense, especially for children of immigrants since we may not be aware of good schools outside of our state or outside of the Ivies. Certainly our GC has been of little or no help in this regard. She just assumes that a hispanic kid wants to go in state to save on tuition. The freebie trips will let student and the family consider other possibilities. I will start a list as the fall goes on and post it here. Thanks again!!</p>

<p>Samclare,</p>

<p>Thank you for the compliment. The list is still developing because I found that I had to go school by school once my google searches failed to reveal new schools that offer scholarship money. Even with my list, students should still ask the individual colleges for some colleges don’t publish scholarships but will tell you on the phone. Also as I haven’t been able to write more about, these scholarships may not be unlimited therefore its very important to apply early in the process since awards may be given in order of applications received. Some scholarships may have additional requirements such as GPA or SAT scores so you should check the individual school’s website. I found most of the info my going to the college’s financial aid page and then searching for merit scholarships. Sometimes I would also put the term “national merit finalist” in the schools search page and that would display the relevant info.</p>

<p>What school invited your son to visit? Entomom has done a great job at developing this section on college confidential. There is a thread to those type of visits called by some schools as “diversity weekends” or diversity visits". I will try to post the link. My DS so far has received invitations from Williams, Texas A&M and University of Pittsburgh. Most visits are done by invitation and Williams required an essay and transcript. I believe the NHRP info is being distributed to schools because the mail in the last 3 days has changed in tone and how it is addressed to my son, using his hispanic middle name now.</p>

<p>Although you may be frustrated with your school’s college counselor and how they treat Hispanic students, try not to get on their bad side. In my son’s recent filling out of applications, I see that you have to have the counselor fill out forms and recs. So although you may not like their efforts, they are part of the process. I like you dont think my DS’s senior counselor does enough to help the NHRP students so he is planning on trying to use his junior counselor to fill out the forms etcs who he likes a lot and found very helpful. </p>

<p>With respect to SATII, my DS and I attended a freebie session by Princeton Review, my DS took practice SAT subject tests and I attended a lecture on what the SAT subject tests were about and how they score them etc. If there is a Princeton Review in your area, I would contact them to see if they are doing this freebie. Like you I had no idea and found it very informative.</p>

<p>I am working on a database for scholarships (other than NHRP) offered to Latino students. Congresswoman Lucy Robyal’s office has developed a great list of scholarships for Latinos. It is a good source in addition to the National HIspanic Fund. </p>

<p>Thank you with your efforts for other students. I am doing the same.</p>

<p>Samclare,</p>

<p>Here is the link to diversity weekends developed by entomom. </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/645766-diversity-weekend-opportunities-2.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/645766-diversity-weekend-opportunities-2.html&lt;/a&gt;,&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If you look lower on this section in CC you will also see the thread. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Samclare, don’t know if this helps, but it’s usually recommended to take the Math II Subject test after Pre-Calculus, not Algebra II. </p>

<p>You’re not alone with a GC that is not informed about resources for Hispanic students, unfortunately it’s a subject that’s rarely on their radar.</p>

<p>The Math I Subject Test would be taken after Alg II.</p>